PDA

View Full Version : This application has been changed since it was created

drollf
2005-11-07, 08:10
I'm receiving an error when starting Spybot-S&D. It reads:

This application has been changed since it was created.

Since Spybot-S&D does not chance itself, we recomend you check your system for malware and viruses instantly!

I've downloaded the latest detection rules and checked for problems but spy bot-S&D found no problems, I've also sone the same thing with my virus protection software (eTrust ezAntivirus) which also finds nothing. The problem is consistent, it happenes every time I start Spybot-S&D. what should I try next?

Buster
2005-11-07, 14:07
Do you have Spybot 1.4 installed? You can check this by opening Spybot -> "Help" at the program bar -> "about"

drollf
2005-11-07, 15:39
Yes, I have 1.4 installed. Also, here is some other info that might be useful. I'm running spywareblaster, Spybot-S&D, etrust ezAntivirus, and microsoft security center with the firewall turned on and pop up blocking is turned on in IE's internet options menu. Is there a possibility of one of these programs conflicting with the other?

md usa spybot fan
2005-11-07, 20:18
There is a similar error reported here:
Spybot error message
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=259

The problem was reported at NI forums. The only thing that I could find about it was the Google cached copy of the first page of the multi-page thread here:
http://72.14.207.104/search?q=cache:WzPb_0GLhcAJ:forums.net-integration.net/index.php%3Fshowtopic%3D31200%26st%3D0%26+%22Since+Spybot-S%26D+does+not+change+itself%22&hl=en

I don’t remember the resolution, if any, to the problem. Perhaps bitman or Patrick can remember more.

I do remember, however, that there was a defect in FileAlyzer 1.2 picked up during the discussions in that thread. The defect was that FileAlyzer 1.2 does not show the MD5 hash values when in the PE Sections tab.

Antispy
2005-12-28, 21:28
This problem can arise if you consiously or unconsiously deleted certain registry entries. Try running sfc /scannow in Windows XP. Did this solve the problem?
If all else fails u can always do a system restore...:-(

smokethapimp
2006-12-09, 22:25
Hi, I am new here but a longtime user of SpyBot. I have recently begun to receive the same message listed above. I read on another thread that turning off the "Lock hosts file" option in ZoneAlarm (and/or EZ FireWall from CA) would stop the problem, and indeed it does. So I am thinking I probably don't have a Virus or Trojan since no less than 12 different security scans by well known Anti-Malware programs show my system clean as a pin.

What is curious to me is that I have had both SpyBot and EZFirewall co-existing on my computer for quite some time with the "Lock hosts file" enabled on my EZFirewall, but the error message from SpyBot started just a few days ago. For now I am keeping the "Lock hosts file" enabled and ignoring the Warning Message from SpyBot.

For those who are curious I have scanned with the following
1- ETrust EZ Antivirus
2- Panda Free Online AntiVirus Scan
3- Bitdefender FOAS
4- Kaspersky FOAS
5- F-Secure FOAS
6- McAfee FOAS
7- TrendMicro HouseCall FOAS
8- Ewido Free
9- Ad-Aware Free
10-A-Squared Free
11-PestPatrol
12-SpyBot Search And Destroy

md usa spybot fan
2006-12-09, 23:22
smokethapimp:

I have recently begun to receive the same message listed above.
More has been learned about the following message since this thread was last posted to almost a year ago prior to your post:

This application has been changed since it was created.

Since Spybot-S&D does not change itself, we recommend you check your system for malware and viruses instantly!
That message has been caused in the past by failing memory (RAM) and I suggest that you consider running a memory diagnostic program. If your system didn't come with diagnostic routines including a memory test there is one here:
http://www.memtest.org/

smokethapimp
2006-12-10, 01:00
Thank you for your reply and the link to memtest. Is there a link to the thread where you mention more has been learned? Thank you. I will run memtest soon and post back. I didn't check the dates on previous replies....just clicked the links that came up when I googled it. Thanks again.:bigthumb:

stevegee58
2007-01-09, 14:06
I'll be damned. I've been receiving this very error message myself occasionally. And sure enough, I ran that memory tester and one of my DIMMs was bad. I went ahead and not only replaced the bad DIMM but also took the liberty of doubling my RAM from 500MB to 1GB. So far, so good.

One thing I find disturbing is how the computer seemed to work OK 99.9% of the time. I would have thought that having bad RAM would cause constant crashing but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Anyway, thanks for the information. It looks like this may have actually fixed the problem.