PDA

View Full Version : Computer running very slow at start-up.

dj.michaud
2008-03-20, 19:24
My computer was infected with a trojan virus. After an extensive fix (reloading the OS), the problems are "almost" all gone.

When I disabled Symantec NIS 2007 in order to uninstall it then load NIS 2008 (a straightforward upgrade was not working), this small window of "no protection" must have activated a sleeping trojan. After trying everything imaginable, I ended up reloading the OS (XP Pro Media Edition 2004, SP2).

Now that I am back to almost normal, I decided to load NIS 2008 and your Spybot S&D package. NIS 2008 runs without interferring with the system performance. It is scheduled for full scans at night when I am not using the computer. This seems to be working well.

Now I also loaded your Spybot S&D. I have the settings set for "no automation" at start-up. However here is the problem. I cannot use my system for the first 6-8 minutes after each reboot or start-up. There is one of your programs called "Resident IE" or Resident something (I may have the name wrong) running near my clock in the Task Bar. I want to shut everything down unless I tell it to run in the scheduler. If I go into this Resident program and DISABLE it, the next reboot brings it back. I want to have the program run at night time when I am not using it. The scedhuler is set to run. I assume it is running at night. In the morning, when I look at my computer, there is nothing on the screen, so I assume that nothing dangerous was found.

The OS itself takes 3-4 mintues to boot, and now there is an additional 6-8 minutes of delay before I can do anything. This 12 minute waiting period is annoying. I essentially sit and wait for the hard disk to stop spinning; then I know I can start using my computer without any performance issues.

At my office, our IT staff use your S&D program in the PC image; these PC's boot up just fine. I validated the office settings and they are the same as my home PC: all default except "no automation." What do you suggest?