PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP SP3

drragostea
2008-03-20, 22:26
Hehes, I finally got my hands on the release date of Windows XP SP3. Wee!:eek: It should be released on March 23, 2008! And in addition, Firefox Beta 5 is on schedule and Release Candidate should be nearing.

drragostea
2008-03-23, 17:06
>.> Maybe I was wrong. SP3 released tomorrow. :euro:

drragostea
2008-03-24, 20:52
This is not good >.> I'm wrong assuming that SP3 hasn't reached me yet. I read other articles on SP3 and it said it'll be released around late April. The previous posts were invalid info. except Firefox. I apologize. But SP3 will still have to reach us.

drragostea
2008-04-15, 04:42
Update from a long time ago. SP3 will reach us around late this week/early next week. Most likely, but not confirmed. :euro:

ght1
2008-04-15, 18:38
Thank you for that information, i'm still waiting :santa:

drragostea
2008-04-16, 01:51
@tpro1, assuming I'm correct, sources in Google news of Windows SP3 will be released around mid-April. Still waiting :)

drragostea
2008-04-16, 02:44
Update!

Windows XP Service Pack 3 was slated for delivery during the first half of 2008, but Microsoft seems intent on downplaying the attention Windows XP SP3 might get in favor of pushing Windows Vista. Windows XP SP3 won’t mark a significant change. While XP SP3 may patch some issues, it won’t have the same impact as Windows XP SP2.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) will reportedly debut later this month. Tech news outlets are widely reporting that the much-anticipated update will be available on April 29. Microsoft was not immediately available for comment.

The final version of Windows XP SP3 was slated for delivery during the first half of 2008, but Microsoft seems intent on downplaying the attention it might get in favor of pushing Windows Vista, especially in light of the uproar about extending the life of XP.

Tests by Devil Mountain Software show that Windows XP, coupled with Service Pack 3, runs some desktop computing tasks roughly twice as fast as Vista. Devil Mountain also discovered that SP3 offers a 10 percent performance boost over XP with SP2, while performance gains with SP1 for Vista were negligible.

Not Much New Here

Windows XP debuted in October 2001. The last update, SP2, was released in August 2004. SP3 is slated to be the last major upgrade of the OS. Like most service packs, XP SP3 combines fixes that were previously released.

Most of the fixes have already been available to users who keep their system updated though Windows Update or who visit Microsoft’s Download Center to download fixes individually.

That’s an important point, according to Michael Cherry, an analyst with Directions on Microsoft. Consumers who have diligently kept up to date with Microsoft downloads, he said, have a PC that operates much the same as PCs waiting for XP SP3.

“There is some new functionality for XP. Windows Server has a new feature called Network Access Protection. I believe Microsoft’s plan is to shift the client for Network Access Protection for XP in the service pack,” Cherry said.

Saving Time on Rebuilds

That said, one of the advantages of having SP3 in a bundle is making computer rebuilds easier. Service packs, Cherry said, can save time for people who are rebuilding machines. He speaks from experience.

“I was rebuilding a machine that has XP on it. It previously ran XP SP2. I had to download an incredible number of patches to bring it up to date. What XP SP3 would let me do is download one massive [collection] of patches, and I don’t have to worry about what order I apply them in,” Cherry said. “I know it’s going to happen correctly.”

Still, for the most part, XP SP3 won’t mark a significant change. While it may patch some issues that Microsoft did not initially release patches for, Cherry said, it will not have the impact XP SP2 did.

“XP SP3 is not going to change the operating system the way that XP SP2 did. It’s not faster; there are no new features. There were no features removed,” Cherry said. “It’s going to be much closer to what Vista SP1 was, where an awful lot of people said, ‘So what?’”
Source from Vistaknowledge.

ght1
2008-04-16, 19:58
http://cybernetnews.com/2008/04/15/new-windows-xp-sp3-release-date-april-29th/

:cowboy:

drragostea
2008-04-17, 00:04
Yep, according to the VistaKnowledge sources, it should be released to the public on April 29th. *sigh* Such a long wait. I know it will not be such a big impact such as SP2, but hey it gives Windows a boost! :laugh:

ndmmxiaomayi
2008-04-17, 07:00
Worth the wait. :clown:

I wonder if MS will offer free delivery of SP3 CDs worldwide, like it did a few years back. :p:

drragostea
2008-04-17, 23:04
Free delivery of the SP3 discs? I doubt it lols. I just recently checked the site for Microsoft SP2 and it required the fee of shipping and handing just for the disc. Worth the wait I say, for a boost to Windows speed. However, I wonder... what might happen to compatibility issues? :funny:

md usa spybot fan
2008-04-18, 00:19
Free delivery of the SP3 discs? I doubt it lols. I just recently checked the site for Microsoft SP2 and it required the fee of shipping and handing just for the disc. ...:
I received a fee free Windows XP SP2 upgrade CD shortly after it was offered. But as I said, that was shortly after it was offered (circa August 2004), not recently.

ndmmxiaomayi
2008-04-18, 12:02
I just recently checked the site for Microsoft SP2 and it required the fee of shipping and handing just for the disc.

I did say a few years back. :p:

I guess compatibility shouldn't be an issue, since most drivers and programs could work on XP. Unlikely MS will take a chance to break compatibility... because Vista SP1 is already having too many issues with that. To add on to the problems, PC manufacturers are not releasing up-to-date drivers. :sad: :rolleyes:

drragostea
2008-04-18, 20:58
Yep... >:(. ndmmxiaomayi, I would like to know how much the shipping and handling for the SP2 disc was. Thanks, because I plan to have SP2 in case I reformat my computer. :bigthumb:

drragostea
2008-04-22, 20:10
Official release via Microsoft Download Center and Windows Update:

http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index.php?act=calendar&cal_id=1&code=showevent&event_id=51491

April 29, 2008. :bigthumb:

ght1
2008-04-28, 18:23
I got it, it works fine :bigthumb:

drragostea
2008-04-30, 01:28
You have SP3? Really? I haven't received it yet :-(.

ndmmxiaomayi
2008-04-30, 14:48
I can't find SP3 in Windows Updates. :rolleyes:

md usa spybot fan
2008-04-30, 15:15
ndmmxiaomayi:

See this post by AplusWebMaster (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=222):
MS delays release of XPSP3
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=187246&postcount=71

ndmmxiaomayi
2008-04-30, 16:03
Thanks md usa spybot fan, but I don't have Microsoft Dynamics RMS.

Is there a list of incompatible software for XP SP3? I struggle to find one.

ght1
2008-04-30, 18:45
http://www.netzwelt.de/software/6407-microsoft-windows-xp-service-pack.html German & English

:cowboy:

drragostea
2008-05-01, 01:05
@tpro1. Thanks for the link but it's totally Greek to me. And as for the others, I found out the same result about the incompatibility issues, so it will not be released on the 29th. As far as I know, it will be released via Microsoft Download Center and Windows Update on May 2, 2008.:cowboy:

ndmmxiaomayi
2008-05-01, 22:06
1 more day to wait. Not very long. I've waited long enough. :p:

drragostea
2008-05-02, 00:25
Hahas, ndmmxiaomayi, I'm dying by waiting for SP3 so long. Basically the main idea of SP3, would be to make your computer run faster. And faster boot it. It won't be as an impact as SP2 for Windows XP OS. :cowboy:

drragostea
2008-05-04, 17:10
*sigh* After reading Wikipedia's issue about Windows XP, I looked at the section about SP3. Sad to realize that SP3 will be delivered on June 10... not May nor April.

ndmmxiaomayi
2008-05-05, 08:43
On the good side, at least I know it won't get to crash my PC (I hope so...). I killed one of them while testing the RC release. :red:

drragostea
2008-05-05, 22:39
Crashed. Oof. Did you attempt to reformat it? A computer costs a lot to me. Lols, I browsed WalMart several months ago and they were offering a Windows XP with Intel Duo Core for only $300. I was tempted, but I decided I liked my old XP OS. I planned to purchase Vista Home Premium during the Summer, but the stories about how the Vista updates crashed or killed the computer just made me stick to my XP. I do not plan to purchase Vista maybe until next year. >;P

ndmmxiaomayi
2008-05-07, 19:02
Whee!!! I updated.

Update went fine for all 3 XP test and production machines. :cowboy:

I'm very satisfied. :cool:

tashi
2008-05-07, 20:20
:2thumb:

drragostea
2008-05-08, 00:55
:cowboy: Lols, maybe I was wrong... Windows OS SP3 Released Today. OH YEA! :funny:

tashi
2008-05-08, 18:19
Users who are upgrading should read this article from the IEBlog beforehand:
IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3 (http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/05/05/ie-and-xpsp3.aspx)

I installed Windows XP SP3 on a laptop after un-installing IE7.

After a smooth upgrade I was given the option to download and install IE7.

Also see Microsoft KB 950717: Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/)

tashi
2008-05-08, 19:00
Some users with HP/Compaq OEM XP/AMD machines have experienced bootup issues after trying to install XP SP3.

Please see this topic at dslreports.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r20443304-MCE-XP-SP3-Issues

However,
The issue is not confined to HP and Compaq. Nor, all non-Intel implementations of XP on those machines either.

drragostea
2008-05-08, 22:07
Yes, I've read about the IE issues. I have IE 7 and installed SP3 on a VAIO and I worked fine. However, I just had to download the update during several attempts because the first and second it hanged and then later told me that SP3 was NOT Installed. I downloaded it again after several hours, assuming the update servers were full or "jammed".

Urbane.Tiger
2008-05-09, 10:50
been using SP3 since April 9, with IE7, zero defects.

FF is my main browser, but I use IE for MS Updates, Bank (IT jerks use IE "shortcuts"). and Fed Agencies (same issue as Bank)

williejames
2008-05-09, 11:24
Installed here and working fine. Then I read about installation issues.:oops: However, still going well but no speed differences over SP2.

Urbane.Tiger
2008-05-09, 11:56
wouldn't any performance differences - essentially SP3 is nothing more than all the changes since SP2 rolled up into single package.