PDA

View Full Version : rootkit plugins - problem?

tedkord
2008-03-23, 00:57
Hi,

I updated Spybot the other day, and saw the anti-rootkit plugins, which I installed just before shutting the computer down and going to bed.

The next morning, when my wife went to log in under her account, she got an error message, which stated that her profile couldn't be accessed. Turned out, it was the case with all four accounts, pus the admin account. System restore to a day prior fixed the problem.

Today, I updated Spybot again, again installing the anti-rootkit plugins. After reboot, same problem. Same fix.

My system is Win XP Pro. Not that it should matter, but the hardware is Core2Duo E6400 OC'ed to 2800MHz, 4GB of PC2-6400 Corsair XMS2 at stock speed. MB is an MSI P6N-SLI - Nvidia 650i chipset. I doubt any of this would cause the issue.

Other protection software I have is - Spyware Blaster, AdAware, Avast antivirus, Comodo Firewall Pro. I keep them all up to date. Could one of these be causing an incompatibility?

Any help is appreciated.

Zenobia
2008-03-23, 05:06
That looks somewhat similar to this:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=25740
Maybe try updating Spybot from the start menu with Spybot closed,like it says in that post,and see if it helps.

MadelineC
2008-03-23, 08:47
Although I haven't experienced the problem that tedkord posts about above - neither myself nor my husband has had any difficulty following the recent updates which included the anti-rootkit plugins (running XP Home SP2), do you think it's better to update via the Start Menu with Spybot closed? Until now, I've always opened the program and updated from there with no problems so far.

Zenobia
2008-03-23, 09:06
No,it should still be okay for you to open Spybot and update from within the program,if you didn't have any problems.That's how I updated mine,and I had no troubles. :)

tedkord
2008-03-23, 17:55
That looks somewhat similar to this:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=25740
Maybe try updating Spybot from the start menu with Spybot closed,like it says in that post,and see if it helps.

Thanks for the reply. I tried updating from the start menu, but the anti-rootkit updates didn't show up. So I started the program and checked updates from there, and they didn't show up there, either. I lookled under C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Plugins, and the 3 .dll's it loads were there. So, I guess the last rollback didn't remove them. Good enough, then.

Thanks again for the replies.

P.S., sorry for the repeat issue. I did search the forum first to see if anyone else had asked, but I guess I missed that one.

MadelineC
2008-03-24, 10:44
No,it should still be okay for you to open Spybot and update from within the program,if you didn't have any problems.That's how I updated mine,and I had no troubles. :)
Thanks. I'll carry on as usual then!

Zenobia
2008-03-25, 04:04
Thanks for the reply. I tried updating from the start menu, but the anti-rootkit updates didn't show up. So I started the program and checked updates from there, and they didn't show up there, either. I lookled under C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\Plugins, and the 3 .dll's it loads were there. So, I guess the last rollback didn't remove them. Good enough, then.

Thanks again for the replies.

P.S., sorry for the repeat issue. I did search the forum first to see if anyone else had asked, but I guess I missed that one.

You're welcome.I'm glad you're not having anymore problems with the plugins. :)It's okay,search is a little off sometimes.

Thanks. I'll carry on as usual then!
You're welcome. :)