PDA

View Full Version : Tea Timer Help Please

jinxed1
2008-03-23, 18:27
Okay, hoping someone can help me out here please. I allowed some changes when the tea timer prompted allow or deny, and it has proved problematic. I can see by viewing the log, that the start up page change has been allowed (among others too) and I'm at a loss how to undo or reverse it. Is this possible? If so, how is it done?

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-23, 22:32
jinxed1:

There is no facility within TeaTimer to reverse any Registry change decisions ("Allow change" or "Deny change") that you make with TeaTimer.

You indicated:

… I allowed some changes … and it has proved problematic. …

… I can see by viewing the log, that the start up page change has been allowed …
Although you indicated that you believe that allowing those changes has "proved problematic", you haven't:
Indicated what the problem is that you are experiencing.
--- nor ---
Indicated what changes the log shows.
If you indicate what the problem is that you are having and what registry changes you allowed (from the log), perhaps someone would be able to relate the two and be better able to help you.

jinxed1
2008-03-24, 03:12
Perhaps I can phrase this differently. Tea timer runs when IE explorer does, and on occasion a pop up appears and says "SB has detected a change in (reg value, etc) do you want to allow or deny the change?" I allowed the change and noticed when I viewed the "show log" the system changes it made when I did so. Two of them actually changed my home page which I believe is wreaking havoc with my email account. When I send replies through my homtial account, the receiver gets a blank page...no text at all. I also cannot view the original incoming message when I attempt to send a reply...I think this browser change or "change to start page" (as shows in log) may have something to do with the problem I am experiencing with my hotmail account. Possibly not, but it's worth a shot if I can undo those changes that I allowed. When the log of what you have allowed or disallowed shows, there are options. One of them is "undo" but does not function. I was asking if there was another way to reverse these changes that I allowed.

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-24, 03:25
jinxed1:

I'll repeat:

There is no facility within TeaTimer to reverse any Registry change decisions ("Allow change" or "Deny change") that you make with TeaTimer. ...
Without posting the log of the changes it is going to be difficult for anyone to help you.

jinxed1
2008-03-24, 03:35
Here is a listing of the log changes. I hope it shows up in it's entirety. Under the edit button within the notepad log it shows several options, one of which is "undo"....I assumed that meant that these decisions could be reversed.

/1/2008 10:36:50 PM Allowed (based on user decision) value "{9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6}" (new data: "") deleted in Browser Helper Object!
3/1/2008 10:37:03 PM Allowed (based on user decision) value "{9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6}" (new data: "") added in Browser Helper Object!
3/7/2008 11:05:13 PM Denied (based on user decision) value "FlashPlayerUpdate" (new data: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil9c.exe") added in System Startup user entry!
3/8/2008 12:08:08 AM Denied (based on user decision) value "{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0005-ABCDEFFEDCBA}" (new data: "") added in ActiveX Distribution Unit!
3/8/2008 12:08:15 AM Denied (based on user decision) value "SunJavaUpdateSched" (new data: ""C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe"") changed in System Startup global entry!
3/8/2008 12:10:56 AM Denied (based on user decision) value "SunJavaUpdateSched" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup global entry!
3/8/2008 12:11:00 AM Denied (based on user decision) value "{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0005-ABCDEFFEDCBA}" (new data: "") added in ActiveX Distribution Unit!
3/8/2008 12:12:15 AM Allowed (based on user decision) value "{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-0003-ABCDEFFEDCBA}" (new data: "") deleted in ActiveX Distribution Unit!
3/8/2008 12:12:26 AM Allowed (based on user decision) value "SunJavaUpdateSched" (new data: ""C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_05\bin\jusched.exe"") changed in System Startup global entry!
3/15/2008 12:20:20 AM Allowed (based on user decision) value "Start Page" (new data: "http://sympatico.msn.ca/default.aspx") changed in Browser page!
3/17/2008 12:01:00 AM Allowed (based on user decision) value "Start Page" (new data: "http://sympatico.msn.ca/default.aspx") changed in Browser page!
3/17/2008 11:56:42 PM Allowed (based on user decision) value "SpybotSD TeaTimer" (new data: "") deleted in System Startup user entry!
3/17/2008 11:56:46 PM Allowed (based on user decision) value "{53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F}" (new data: "") deleted in Browser Helper Object!

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-24, 04:25
jinxed1:

If the problem started on 2008-03-15 when you changed your home page ("Start Page") to http://sympatico.msn.ca/default.aspx, just change it back manually to whatever home page you would like.

If the problem actually started 2008-03-08 when you upgraded Sun Java 6 Update 5, then I suggest that you go to add/remove programs, uninstall (remove) all versions of Java and then reinstall Java 6 Update 5. It appears that you denied a registry change for the addition of an ActiveX control during that upgrade that may be causing a problem.

jinxed1
2008-03-24, 04:42
I just tried manually changing my homepage back about a half hour ago...doesn't seem to make a difference. The problem only started about a week ago, but I will try what you suggested with the java program...at this point, I'm willing to try just about anything.
Thanks for your response.:)

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-25, 17:18
jinxed1:

I am curious if reinstalling Java 6 Update 5 help with your Hotmail problem.

jinxed1
2008-03-26, 03:07
I was soooo hoping it would, but it didn't. Still huge tales of woe here. I'm going around the bend trying to figure it out.

2008-03-26, 17:42
(which he prob does) I would simply restore my system (if u have windows Me, XP, or vista) a day before all this happened. So that you will be asked again about everything and won't repeat any mistakes. Just my suggestion anyway. ;)

jinxed1
2008-03-26, 17:51
You know, I tried that (system restore) running on XP. I'm not exactly sure what date the problems all started, all I know is I'm still experiencing them. I think I may just try it again and go back a little further than I did the last two attempts. At this point, it can't hurt much. Thanks so much for the response

2008-03-26, 17:54
it was just a simple thought :) if that doesn't work, hopefully spybot sd fan has a better solution for you. :)

jinxed1
2008-03-26, 18:04
That was the first thought that came to my head, but obviously, I repeated the same mistakes again....allowing and or denying changes when it should have been the opposite. I like SB, but this tea timer, that is actually a safety feature, can cause problems sometimes for those of us who just point and click at random.
If I EVER get this fixed, I'll be sure to post an update....ppl on this forum are so helpful and friendly...and did I mention patient? lol.

2008-03-27, 22:12
IF you find teatimer to be more of a nuisance then a help, i suggest disabling it. Especially for people who click at random and don't want to monitor changes to your computer. I recommend u disable teatimer so that you won't deny changes accidentally. When you first install spybot, teatimer is unchecked to be installed by default. SO you must have checked that upon installation, otherwise teatimer would not be active. I suggest you open spybot, click mode-advanced mode. click yes. Navigate to tools-resident. then uncheck system settings protector (teatimer). Leave the other option checked. This will still stop malware from entering your machine through downloads in your browsers, but you will no longer be asked to allow or deny changes when a major change is made to your system. :) Teatimer then will not be active again until you go back into the spybot program and recheck the option. I hope this helps, and I am glad to be of service to you. Thank you :)

jinxed1
2008-03-30, 20:35
Thanks so much for the suggestion...you know, I thought about disabling tea timer many times, but was always under the impression that spyware/malware, hijacking etc...would haunt me if I did. Yup...I can hear you laughing from here. :)
If I do disable it, I'm assuming the changes that I've already allowed or denied will stay in memory, if so, is there any point in disabling tea timer since the allowed or denied changes will in essence still be in effect?

2008-03-30, 23:16
Thanks so much for the suggestion...you know, I thought about disabling tea timer many times, but was always under the impression that spyware/malware, hijacking etc...would haunt me if I did. Yup...I can hear you laughing from here. :)
If I do disable it, I'm assuming the changes that I've already allowed or denied will stay in memory, if so, is there any point in disabling tea timer since the allowed or denied changes will in essence still be in effect?

It won't be active, so it will just allow any things that you do, including any changes that were in teatimers whitelist before, even if they were denied before. You should be good.

jinxed1
2008-03-31, 01:05
Okay, done deal. Thanks again for your suggestion, I'll let you know how it works out.:)

2008-03-31, 17:56
after a couple of days.

jinxed1
2008-04-03, 08:05
I know you're holding your breath waiting for an update here, so I'm on it... :)
Okay, so I cheated a little. I didn't permanently disable tea timer, I just exited out of resident protection a few times...just to see if it made a difference of any kind. It didn't fix the blank hotmail reply issue, (that's a microsoft problem) but I did notice something that seems odd to me. After enabling resident protection and surfing the net for a while, I'd run windows "one care" clean up....and every single time resident protection was enabled in IE, the scan results came up with at least 15 invalid registries.
If I disabled the resident protection function in IE, and ran the same scan (one care) after surfing for a while, there were NO invalid registries detected. Any idea why that might be?

2008-04-03, 17:50
I know you're holding your breath waiting for an update here, so I'm on it... :)
Okay, so I cheated a little. I didn't permanently disable tea timer, I just exited out of resident protection a few times...just to see if it made a difference of any kind. It didn't fix the blank hotmail reply issue, (that's a microsoft problem) but I did notice something that seems odd to me. After enabling resident protection and surfing the net for a while, I'd run windows "one care" clean up....and every single time resident protection was enabled in IE, the scan results came up with at least 15 invalid registries.
If I disabled the resident protection function in IE, and ran the same scan (one care) after surfing for a while, there were NO invalid registries detected. Any idea why that might be?

I have no idea. I wouldn't be concerned about it, as it doesn't sound like a really bad problem. It might be a one care issue. But to be honest, i do not know. ;)

jinxed1
2008-04-04, 06:08
Thanks for the response...I'll continue to monitor it, and see if it is a "one care" issue or not. At this point, my guess is as good as yours, or the next guy's and the next, and the next.... :)

2008-04-04, 21:51
Thanks for the response...I'll continue to monitor it, and see if it is a "one care" issue or not. At this point, my guess is as good as yours, or the next guy's and the next, and the next.... :)

Your welcome. I wish you luck and no threats. :)