PDA

View Full Version : What is a "dummy"?

macwino
2006-02-23, 03:33
I hope I'm not a dummy for asking this, but I've searched the forums and the documentation and I can't find any references to "dummy." What started this inquiry was the following that I found in a help file on the site:

It is "illegitimate to use Cydoor-infected software after you have replaced Cydoor with the dummy. The dummy is only provided so that you may save all your data from the infected software after it has been cleaned . . ."

I also found some files named "dummy" in my Spybot folder in the Programs folder.

So what is this feature and how do I activate it if I want to use it?

Thanks, Robert

spybotsandra
2006-02-23, 11:18
Hello,

Some programs use adware and spyware. If we delete those, the programs won't work any more.
Thus we make "dummies" for some of them. This means we create faked adware and spyware who can't do any harm because the files are actually empty.
These dummies have the effect that the real spyware is gone and the programs still work.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

macwino
2006-02-23, 18:20
Sandra, thanks for the prompt reply.

Where can I find these "dummies," or if I have to make them, where can I learn how to do so? And where can I learn how to install them? I find no references to any of this in the documentation or the forums. All I can find is a folder in my Spybot folder labelled "dummies."

Thanks, Robert

md usa spybot fan
2006-02-23, 18:36
There is no user interface associated "Dummies" nor is there any need for you to be concerned with them. They are just files used internally by Spybot to replace specific files when certain malware is fixed after it has been detected.