PDA

View Full Version : Installation of Spybot 1.5.2

DMCM08
2008-03-24, 21:54
Group,
Five weeks ago I upgraded to SpyBot version 1.5.2, since then, each week when I run this program, it finds no threats. It seems to download the latest detection lists, I find it strange that there are absolutely no threats found ever since the upgrade. I have checked settings, all seems to be good. Has anyone else experienced this, or is there a setting that maybe I'm missing?
Thanks,
dmcm08

LoneLurker
2008-03-24, 22:44
Group,
Five weeks ago I upgraded to SpyBot version 1.5.2, since then, each week when I run this program, it finds no threats. It seems to download the latest detection lists, I find it strange that there are absolutely no threats found ever since the upgrade. I have checked settings, all seems to be good. Has anyone else experienced this, or is there a setting that maybe I'm missing?
Thanks,
dmcm08

DMCM08,

I have not received any of the most dangerous threats that are usually in RED, but; some of the other, TRACKS, IE history, six MS xxx, RegEdit, less of a major threat. Seems a bit sslllooowww when clearing these and am wondering where the "Select All" radio button has gone?

I usually run SBS&D with a Slower setting instead of Normal so some work can be done while the scan is underway, could that be why the Clearing is so slow?

Thank you for reading my message,

DMCM08
2008-03-25, 13:52
I would be happy just to see the "green" threats listed, just to confirm all is working. It seems really strange for a pc that always had some threats, all of a sudden has had no threats found for five weeks?? As for the slow performance, until I find a threat to remove, I can't give you any thoughts on this.
Thanks for the post.
DMCM08

spybotsandra
2008-03-25, 14:31
Hello,

In older versions there might be more found in a scan than in the newest version.
That refers to the cookies.
Doubleclick and others like Advertising.com, Avenue A, Inc, CasaleMedia, Fastclick, Hitbox, Mediaplex etc. are so called tracking cookies. We have improved the detection for this cookies and rated some as not bad. So this is ok, nothing to worry. ;-)

But to make sure you can run Spybot - Search & Destroy and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" and select "Settings" --> "File Sets" in the left bar. There, please right-click somewhere into the list and choose "select all available checks".

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

DMCM08
2008-03-26, 15:16
Spybot Team,
I chose the option for "select all available checks" - ran the scan again, and still nothing. After five weeks of no threats, I'm really wondering if this is working correctly?
Thanks,
DMCM08

2008-03-26, 17:46
on another user who asked about this "problem".

"Hello,

Please run Spybot - Search & Destroy and switch to "Advanced mode" via the menu bar item "Mode" and select "Settings" --> "File Sets" in the left bar. There, please right-click somewhere into the list and choose "select all available checks".
If still nothing is found you have probably activated the resident protection of Spybot - Search & Destroy (teatimer) that is blocking the baddies (known threats, tracking cookies etc.) from getting into your system." (in the first place, so teatimer is keeping all that stuff from getting into your system.)
:)

DMCM08
2008-03-27, 20:15
Great!! That was the answer, in the previous version, I had elected not to turn on teatime, so I didn't completely understand how this worked. Just curious, if I decide to turn this off, where is that setting. I've done some digging around in settings, but seem to be missing this.
Many thanks for the answer!!
DMCM08

2008-03-27, 22:16
When you first install spybot, teatimer is unchecked to be installed by default. So you must have checked that upon installation, otherwise teatimer would not be active. I suggest you open spybot, click mode-advanced mode. click yes. Navigate to tools-resident. then uncheck system settings protector (teatimer). Leave the other option checked. This will still stop malware from entering your machine through downloads in your browsers, but you will no longer be asked to allow or deny changes when a major change is made to your system. Teatimer then will not be active again until you go back into the spybot program and recheck the option. I hope this helps, and I am glad to be of service to you. Thank you