PDA

View Full Version : Taskbar/Window problems

oshmoganshignog
2008-03-25, 02:26
Hey, I'm not sure if im posting in the correct place- please correct me if I am.... but, I have been having some problems recently. My startup bar and windows has been "spazzing"- so to speak, and windows annot be clicked and I need to restart frequently. It was tollerable before but now its just plain annoying. I would post a log but Im not sure which button to press on Hijackthis (sorry) if you could be of some assistance I would be UNGODLY thankful.

ken545
2008-04-02, 19:41
Hello oshmoganshignog

Welcome to Safer Networking., sorry for the delay.

Please read Before YouPost (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)
That said, All advice given by anyone volunteering here, is taken at own risk.
While best efforts are made to assist in removing infections safely, unexpected stuff can happen.

We can check your system to see if malware or a virus is the culprit, if not and its a windows issue I can link you to some windows support sites.

Download Trendmicros Hijackthis (http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en-US/_download/HJTInstall.exe) to your desktop.
Double click it to install
Follow the prompts and by default it will install in C:\Program Files\Trendmicro\Hijackthis\Highjackthis.exe

Open HJT Scan and Save a Log File, it will open in Notepad
Go to Format and make sure Wordwrap is Unchecked
Go to Edit> Select All.....Edit > Copy and Paste the new log into this thread by using the Post Reply and not start a New Thread.

DO NOT have HijackThis fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

Download CCleaner from here (http://www.ccleaner.com/) to clean temp files from your computer.

Double click on the file to start the installation of the program.
Select your language and click OK, then next.
Read the license agreement and click I Agree.
Click next to use the default install location. Click Install then finish to complete installation.
Double click the CCleaner shortcut on the desktop to start the program.
On the "Windows" tab, under "Internet Explorer," uncheck "Cookies" if you do not want them deleted. (If deleted, you will likely need to reenter your passwords at all sites where a cookie is used to recognize you when you visit).
If you use either the Firefox or Mozilla browsers, the box to uncheck for "Cookies" is on the Applications tab, under Firefox/Mozilla.
Click on the "Options" icon at the left side of the window, then click on "Advanced."
deselect "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours."
Click on the "Cleaner" icon on the left side of the window, then click Run Cleaner to run the program.
Caution: It is not recommended that you use the "Issues" feature unless you are very familiar with the registry as it has been known to find legitimate items.
After CCleaner has completed its process, click Exit.

*NOTE* CCleaner deletes EVERYTHING out of temp/temporary folders. If you have anything in a temp folder, back it up or move it to a permanent folder prior to running CCleaner!

Run this free online scan using Internet Explorer:
Kaspersky Online Virus Scanner (http://www.kaspersky.com/downloads/kws/kavwebscan.html)

Next Click on Launch Kaspersky Online Scanner

You will be prompted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.

The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT
Now click on Scan Settings
In the scan settings make that the following are selected:
Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
Standard
Scan Options:
Scan Archives
Scan Mail Bases
Click OK
Now under select a target to scan: Select My Computer
This will program will start and scan your system.
The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
Now click on the Save as Text button:
Save the file to your desktop.
Post the log along with a New HJT Log into your next reply.

Post the Kaspersky log and a Hijackthis log please, they most likely will not fit in one post so take as many replies as you need by hitting the Submit reply and not the New Topic button.