PDA

View Full Version : I Don't know where to start..

THESPR
2008-03-25, 17:19
Hello,

I am writing from another computer as mine does not stay up and running long enough to work directly.

Here is what I know. When I run normally, the start up is very slow. Once I am up and running and Norton has loaded, I can't stay on very long. The system reboots on its own. The time it takes to do this varies. I tried to run Spybot S & D but it shuts down before I am done.

I started in safe mode and I was able to run scans via spybot and norton. Spybot 1.5.2 found only Registry Fix as a potential problem, but Spybot 1.4 never did. Registry Fix has been useful to me for several years with no complaints.

I did an adaware scan in safe mode also, but it found nothing other than some tracking cookies.

After the scans I restarted normal and thought I was on to something, I was running Spybot. I was getting notices from the resident component that some registry keys were being changed which I denied. Then another shut down, very frustrating.

I suspect some kind of virus loaded through one of the kids MSN accounts, but don't know.

I also thought that maybe there was a power supply issue ? Is that possible ?

Thannks in advance.

Shaba
2008-03-27, 11:16
Hi THESPR

I think it is hardware related issue.

I'd first check if cpu fan and power supply are working ok.

THESPR
2008-03-28, 15:02
Hi Shaba,

I will have the power supply checked out, but I was able to run the computer in Safemode with networking and I was able to run a Kaspersky scan. It picked up that we were infected with something called Win32.agent.ax ?
I tried to run norton antivirus and it did not pick that up at all and the norton list of threats did not include that one?

I don't know if there is anything else beyond that but will check the power supply as well.

THESPR

Shaba
2008-03-28, 18:02
Hi

Different AVs find different things.

Please post kaspersky report and HijackThis log next :)

Shaba
2008-04-02, 11:40
Due to the lack of feedback this Topic is closed.

If it has been five days or more since your last post, and the helper assisting you posted a response to that post to which you did not reply, your topic will not be reopened. At that point, if you still require help, please start a new topic and include a fresh HijackThis log and a link to your previous thread.

If it has been less than five days since your last response and you need the thread re-opened, please send a private message (pm). A valid, working link to the closed topic is required.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.