PDA

View Full Version : Popup appeared to start Spybot update - but I didn't start it

VanguardLH
2008-03-26, 19:02
This was the first time that I've seen this. A DOS console window appeared that showed it had something to do with Spybot (just remember seeing "Spybot" in the first line). It closed and a GUI window appeared to request performing a Spybot update. I did not initiate this update. Spybot wasn't started. Spybot is not configured to run in the background. So I didn't have a clue why Spybot thought it would be allowed to even request an update. I cancelled it and the GUI window closed.

I went into the settings for Spybot and the only update option enabled is for it to check for updates when I load Spybot. I did NOT load Spybot and why the console and GUI windows were a surprise when they appeared. I've checked and there are no scheduled tasks to run Spybot. After closing the GUI window asking to perform an update, I checked but did not see any processes in Task Manager that belonged to Spybot. So how the hell did Spybot (if it was Spybot) run a DOS command to start an update? Nothing of Spybot should ever be running on my host unless *I* start the program manually.

I do NOT have Spybot configured to load its TeaTimer app. I do NOT have Spybot configured to add its BHO to Internet Explorer. I was NOT running Spybot at the time the DOS (console) window appeared which opened the GUI window to start the update (which, as I recall, looked like a *program* update rather than a signature update).

VanguardLH
2008-03-26, 19:41
(comment removed as no longer appropriate after moderator removed other duplicated post)