PDA

View Full Version : This is a tricky one. Firefox gets stuck

plagio
2008-03-27, 19:01
Hey everybody.
I will try to explain myself even if this is a tricky one and even if my English is not that good.

Since some weeks, firefox is having issues. It gets stuck while opening new tabs with blank screen and with "looking up ..." written in the status bar.

I assumed that it was an issue with the DNS's since it looked like firefox couldn't resolve IP addresses. What was strange is that Internet Explorer or Opera worked perfectly in those instances. I remembered that an update of firefox was applied days before and I therefore assumed the problem was firefox.
After many searches in the firefox official forum, it seem that the problem was SpyBot search and destry.

I therefore uninstalled spybot only to find out I didn't have the restore point saved. I therefore unabled all the immunization, and the resident and just uninstalled from the control pannel.

My problem is that it is still happening every now and then. Not as often as before but it does happen.

Now then, my question. Is there a way to disable what spybot does at lower level manually ? I obviously made a mistake not creating a save point for the restore feature BUT I have been using spybot for years now without issues at all.

Also, as anybody else seen this problem already ?

I run vista 32 bit (updated and stuff), all firewall settings are fine and I used the latest release of spybot available.

Thanks a lot and please help me not switching from my beloved frirefox.

plagio
2008-03-27, 19:05
Link to the firefox knowledge base where it suggest that the spybot resident may cause issues.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_hangs

drragostea
2008-03-28, 00:49
Now then, my question. Is there a way to disable what spybot does at lower level manually?

Plagio, when you say lower level manually... I don't quite comprehend that. Yet, I assume you are talking about the TeaTime and IE BHO. I do not think there is any way to "lower" the security settings/levels of Spybot-SD; only to disable/enable TeaTimer and IE BHO. Why don't you make a fresh install from safernetworking (Spybot official website). Install all the updates and immunize. Run a scan too. Erm. The latest Firefox is 2.0.0.13. I updated mine yesterday. Cheers. :euro:

drragostea
2008-03-28, 00:51
I run vista 32 bit (updated and stuff), all firewall settings are fine and I used the latest release of spybot available.

Windows Vista 32-bit... is it updated with SP1? Are you using the built-in Windows Firewall and Windows Defender?

plagio
2008-03-28, 12:12
Windows Vista 32-bit... is it updated with SP1? Are you using the built-in Windows Firewall and Windows Defender?

No SP1 yet. It is an Italian vista version, the SP1 with the Italian localization is due to be released some time next month.
I have disabled the windows defender.
I have disable the windows firewall too since I use the avira interner suite (antivir + firewall)

plagio
2008-03-28, 12:21
Plagio, when you say lower level manually... I don't quite comprehend that. Yet, I assume you are talking about the TeaTime and IE BHO. I do not think there is any way to "lower" the security settings/levels of Spybot-SD; only to disable/enable TeaTimer and IE BHO. Why don't you make a fresh install from safernetworking (Spybot official website). Install all the updates and immunize. Run a scan too. Erm. The latest Firefox is 2.0.0.13. I updated mine yesterday. Cheers. :euro:

What I meant is, is there a way to disable/remove spybot manually. ?
When you uninstall spybot via control panel a pop up windows says something like : " use the restore feature instead".
I haven't got any restore point unfortunately.

spybotsandra
2008-03-28, 12:32
Hello,

In order to completely uninstall Spybot - Search & Destroy, please consider the following link:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/howto/uninstall.html

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

plagio
2008-03-28, 13:56
sweet.

Thanks a lot.