PDA

View Full Version : My XP gets frozen when running version 1.5.2

tn2006
2008-03-27, 21:19
Been using version 1.5.1 for about a year, so much happy. Asked to update new version 1.5.2 about few wekks ago, big mistake. After installed, update the latest, now my pc freezing everytime I run it, about 2/3 way. The only thing I can do then is reboot the system by powering off/on. Any advices would be appriciated. Thanks

My OS is XP home. However, it's running fine on my laptop vista.

drragostea
2008-03-27, 22:28
BAsked to update new version 1.5.2 about few wekks ago, big mistake.

Tn2006, when you say you were asked to update it, were you downloading it directly from the website or from the programs built-in updater? In addition, you running with any Service Packs on your XP? I have Spybot-SD 1.5.2.20 with all updates on my Windows XP Home SP2 and it's running smoothly.

tn2006
2008-03-28, 05:19
drragostea, I dl the software from download.com. After installed it, I opened and chose update, it showed me whole bunch of sites I could get update from. Update, then problem occurred. Mine runs with XP2.

2008-03-28, 17:27
spybot and reinstall the latest from the home page of spybot s&d. Also, close any running programs and try to run spybot again. You may also be heavily infected, causing your system to lock up. There are virusies and spyware that can detect a security program trying to run and freeze the system so that it cannot be removed. If you keep having problems, restart in safe mode by hitting f8 when windows loads and select safe mode. Run your antiviruis and antispyware scans and remove anything found. Try again. :)

drragostea
2008-03-28, 20:38
I agree much with 129260. :)

tn2006
2008-03-29, 18:05
... You may also be heavily infected, causing your system to lock up. There are virusies and spyware that can detect a security program trying to run and freeze the system so that it cannot be removed. If you keep having problems, restart in safe mode by hitting f8 when windows loads and select safe mode. Run your antiviruis and antispyware scans and remove anything found. Try again. :)

Heavily infected, that was what I thought. It was fine before after my nieces came to visit me and played online games. After they left and I got problems:sad:

Anyway, This were what I did:
Scan with AVG, Adware, they both couln't find a thing, then run Spyboot (got frozen, have to reset comp). Repeat many times, the same

I tried your advices. Run comp in safe mode, run they again, happen same when run Spyboot, got frozen.

Down load another free anti-virus Avira, run and it detected 6 virus. Run again make sure comp clean. The tried to run Spy, frezze again. Don't know what to do??

drragostea
2008-03-29, 20:53
Hrm. Tn2006, can you think of any sites that your nieces will visit to attract malware? In addition, have you gotten any pop-ups lately? You said that Anti-vir detected 6 viruses. Did you quarantine them or did you just delete the virus?

tn2006
2008-03-29, 21:04
No, I don't know which sites these 10 years old kid got into . Darn, I should have said no.

I didn't quarantine them. Deleted them.
This is really a headache.

drragostea
2008-03-29, 21:15
*sigh* I understand your concern. Basically, as a recap... your PC was fine until your nieces came in to use the computer. You said the other AV's did not detect anything, and Spybot-SD wouldn't run/ or just froze. Are you getting any pop-ups? You may also check the "history" of the sites your nieces visited. That may be useful. Best Regards.

2008-03-30, 04:18
NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSYANCES ALLOW ANYONE ELSE TO USE YOUR ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT.
If u ever wish to let someone else use your computer in the future, turn on the guest account under user accounts in control panel, and let them use that account. That account is strickley locked down and prevents anyone from installing/modifying anything. I would suggest posting in the malware removal forum, scince u r quite infected. Also, in the future, mention those types of details, especcialy when someone like your necies comes over and then after the computer was messed up. :) ;) :)
It's not your fault, so don't beat yourself up. And dont get mad at the kids, as they probably didn't intentially mess up your computer. :) (depending on there ages lol)

Here is where you can get assistance in the malware removal forum:

before you post read this:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Here is the link to the malware removal forum:
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Explain everything that u did, like u did here, and provide them a link to this thread if nessary. Explain everything in full detail. :) best wishes, 129260.

2008-03-30, 04:20
No, I don't know which sites these 10 years old kid got into . Darn, I should have said no.

I didn't quarantine them. Deleted them.
This is really a headache.

with downloading another antiviruis such as antivir, avast, and avg are all good free antiviruis programs. Glad u thought of that to install a antiviruis program, and to remove and delete them. :)

tn2006
2008-03-30, 04:30
NEVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSYANCES ALLOW ANYONE ELSE TO USE YOUR ADMINISTRATOR ACCOUNT.
If u ever wish to let someone else use your computer in the future, turn on the guest account under user accounts in control panel, and let them use that account. That account is strickley locked down and prevents anyone from installing/modifying anything. I would suggest posting in the malware removal forum, scince u r quite infected. Also, in the future, mention those types of details, especcialy when someone like your necies comes over and then after the computer was messed up. :) ;) :)
It's not your fault, so don't beat yourself up. And dont get mad at the kids, as they probably didn't intentially mess up your computer. :) (depending on there ages lol)

Here is where you can get assistance in the malware removal forum:

before you post read this:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Here is the link to the malware removal forum:
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Explain everything that u did, like u did here, and provide them a link to this thread if nessary. Explain everything in full detail. :) best wishes, 129260.

Thanks, I will go over the above two links.

Oh, drragostea, the website is runescape.com.

Again, thanks guys

drragostea
2008-03-30, 04:43
Tn2006, You've done it AGAIN! lols, of course I'm just joking. You know. Now listen. I have quite some friends who visit Maplestory, Counterstrike, Runescape (as you mentioned). Those sites... or preferably, programs are like P2P (peer-to-peer) software. It's like a global worldwide software which anyone can use. Servers are set up, updated, and users log on. Simple.
However, the program is that those "games" such as Maple and Runescape are known to ruin people's PCs, I've seen the damages of the spyware and viruses it distributes on my cousin's pc who played Maplestory 24/7. Neopets are also one of those "popular" gaming sites.
Just as a warning, like 129260 said, only allow your nieces to a guest account for that it has limited features. Run a firewall and Anti-virus. That should do you much good. The problem is that, I cannot help you remove the viruses though. You must go the the malware removal forums. Cheers. :laugh:

2008-03-30, 05:40
Tn2006, You've done it AGAIN! lols, of course I'm just joking. You know. Now listen. I have quite some friends who visit Maplestory, Counterstrike, Runescape (as you mentioned). Those sites... or preferably, programs are like P2P (peer-to-peer) software. It's like a global worldwide software which anyone can use. Servers are set up, updated, and users log on. Simple.
However, the program is that those "games" such as Maple and Runescape are known to ruin people's PCs, I've seen the damages of the spyware and viruses it distributes on my cousin's pc who played Maplestory 24/7. Neopets are also one of those "popular" gaming sites.
Just as a warning, like 129260 said, only allow your nieces to a guest account for that it has limited features. Run a firewall and Anti-virus. That should do you much good. The problem is that, I cannot help you remove the viruses though. You must go the the malware removal forums. Cheers. :laugh:

i wish sometimes we could remove the viruises for them, make the security experts jobs in the malware removal forums much easier ;)

2008-03-30, 05:42
Thanks, I will go over the above two links.

Oh, drragostea, the website is runescape.com.

Again, thanks guys

your most welcome :)

drragostea
2008-03-30, 15:18
i wish sometimes we could remove the viruises for them, make the security experts jobs in the malware removal forums much easier ;)

Of course, 129260. I would do the same >:D>

tn2006
2008-04-03, 18:27

How to create Administrator/another account in window XP/Vista.

2008-04-04, 02:22
Click start-control panel. Open user accounts. Click guest. Click turn on guest account. This account does not have a password, and is good when someone needs to use your computer. That account is strikingly locked down and prevents anyone from installing/modifying anything at all. Your personal documents and everything can't be viewed. :) Good account for someone to use when you want someone to use your computer, but keep everything safe. Make sure your admin account is password protected as well. Click your name, (under user accounts), and click create password. :) Hope that helps you.

tn2006
2008-04-07, 22:00
Thanks 129260,

Already created the Ad/guess accounts. I wish I've done it sooner.
After got helps in Malware removal forum, thanks to pskelly. My computer seems clean but still have the problem running Spyboot - SD. The frozen is still. Too bad, I like this software so much. Runing fine with laptop Vista basic home tho.

Tried to uninstall 1.5 and installed 1.4, frozen still there. It's weired because was running smoothly with old version. I think I give up

2008-04-08, 04:13
Thanks 129260,

Already created the Ad/guess accounts. I wish I've done it sooner.
After got helps in Malware removal forum, thanks to pskelly. My computer seems clean but still have the problem running Spyboot - SD. The frozen is still. Too bad, I like this software so much. Runing fine with laptop Vista basic home tho.

Tried to uninstall 1.5 and installed 1.4, frozen still there. It's weired because was running smoothly with old version. I think I give up

Unless a spybot team member has a better solution, i would reformat and that would defiantly insure your clean. You could also try installing spybot in safe mode. (Latest version.) See then if you can get it to work. Also repost in your malware forum and let them know you are unable to run spybot due to freezing. Try buying more ram (random access memory) You might not have enough to run everything you are doing. If not, I have run out of ideas, and the only thing i would suggest is to wait for a spybot team member to assist you. They have been quite busy, so it might take a bit. :) hang in there!! sorry i cannot assist you more...

drragostea
2008-04-09, 03:06
I believe RAM isn't a problem. Just clean out the spyware. I would suggest Superantispyware.

tn2006
2008-04-09, 17:01
I believe RAM isn't a problem. Just clean out the spyware. I would suggest Superantispyware.

129260, I already asked in malware forum and they help to clean my comp but couldn'I fin the problems http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=26219 . Have thought about reformat the comp but it is bit too much:), but I guess I have to do it as the last resource.

Drragostea, I have been busy so I will try this weekend and post the results.

Thanks guys

PS. Rarely, sometime, the Spybot scan went through like 1/10 (freeze 10 and through 1 :sad: ) but found no spyware??

drragostea
2008-04-09, 21:53
tn2006, no problem. Reformatting would be a last resort... so you should stay put at the malware forums :P. I'm suggesting Superantispyware because it had removed Smitfraud before. :eek: Thanks.

drragostea
2008-04-09, 21:56
PS. Rarely, sometime, the Spybot scan went through like 1/10 (freeze 10 and through 1 :sad: ) but found no spyware??

@tn2006... Rarely? Do you mean like it scans around 1/10 of the bar and stops? Is the "counter" still moving... in other words... still counting? >:D Looking forward to your results.

--drragostea

2008-04-09, 22:34
watching this forum for your results. btw, good suggestions drragostea :)

drragostea
2008-04-10, 00:15
@129260. >:P Hahas. Good suggestion? Same goes for you. I'm a senior member too you now. :clown: Hahas. Anyways... back to forum. Looking forward to tn2006's results.

tn2006
2008-04-12, 07:03
@tn2006... Rarely? Do you mean like it scans around 1/10 of the bar and stops? Is the "counter" still moving... in other words... still counting? >:D Looking forward to your results.

--drragostea

I mean scan 10 times, one goes though completely and other 10 is frozen like usually, whole screen just freeze. Anyway, updating after install the Superantispyware.

It is amazing, install, run first time:

Thread Description---------------------------Detected Items

Adware.Mywebsearch--------------------------- 1
Adware.180solutions/Seekmo ------------------ 132
Adware.Zango Toolbar ------------------------- 10
Adware.Tracking Cookies------------------------ 1

Total 144 detected items. Surprisingly

Run second time find one more detected item. However, this time it pops up a message says: “Exception Processing Message 00000013 Parameters ………..” the dots are whole bunch of letters and numbers. The message has three options (cancel, try again, continue), have to choose continue or cancel in order to keep running. The message keeps pop up few times after that. Try to run the third time, same thing happens. Other than that, it’s ok.

Try to dl Spy in safe mode, dl is ok but can’t install into computer?????. Dl in normal mode and scan the comp using the Spybot-SD, problem is still

drragostea
2008-04-12, 18:47
Hahas. Nice to know, tn2006. That is why I use Superantispyware often. From experience, it has removed Virtuemonde and Smitfraud... which have a reputation of causing popups. Also, after fixing Smitfraud, my friends computer was actually able to install a video card update. Now... to the results. Assuming from the results, your PC should be fine... Almost lols. So I would suggest running another Kaspersky Online scan via IE, only if you have the time.

>But are you saying Spybot-SD still freezes in a scan? Did you reinstall it with all the latest updates? Superantispyware should remove all the troublesome malware, thus Spybot should work properly. :) Looking forward to your results.

--drragostea

tn2006
2008-04-12, 23:13
Yes, I installed with all the latest updates. Just did another Kaspersky Online scan and found nothing. Well... I think I would use Superantispyware instead of Spybot on my desktop.

Do you know what pop up messages when running Superantispyware (I posted the post above)? It didn't happen when run first time though.

drragostea
2008-04-13, 04:41
I have never encountered that kind of message before. My Spybot runs smoothly and Superantispyware has found nothing in my computer. I apologize, but I can't help you because I don't understand the message. What happens particularly though, when the message pops up? It the scan like half way through and it pops up or is it like it finds a malware then it pops up?

Also, its good that Kaspersky found it clean. I ran my scans under the Standard settings, because it was that or Extended.

2008-04-13, 06:59
I'm with drragostea on this one, if the scand found nothing, u system should be clean i would think.....as for that weird message, sounds like the program needs to be reinstalled or you do not have enough memory to run the program. Try closing some programs and such. That's about as much as i can do for you, until a spybot team member can help you. They have been busy :)