PDA

View Full Version : Spybot S&D Configuration Dropdown Missing

foxrose
2008-03-28, 01:07
I keep getting messages from IE Helper asking for instructions on Advertising.com at IMDB. Answering 'Deny' and 'Always act this way' does nothing. It keeps coming back with same URL(s). Investigation of these forums yields instructions to go to Tools and a dropdown menu-- which cannot be found. Not in configuration, either.

My help file (version 1.5.2.20) installed today says:

This message is created by the bad download blocker for IE, a tool of Spybot-S&D. Since version 1.5 the feature of the silent bad download blocker is in a different place than in older versions.

Please open the Tools menu in your Internet Explorer and choose Spybot-S&D - Configuration. There you will find a drop down menu (see screenshot below) where you should select Block all bad pages silently. With that option set the notifications will no longer come up, but you will still have the protection.

This dropdown is nowhere to be found. Any help?

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-28, 05:57
foxrose:

To set "Block all pages silently":
Go into Internet Explorer > Tools > select "Spybot – Search Destroy Configuration".
Then in the "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" window in the "Settings" tab under "When encountering bad things" you will see three options:

Block all pages silently
Display dialog when blocking
Ask for blocking confirmation
Select "Block all pages silently" and click "OK".
If you are running TeaTimer there is an alternate method to change SDHelper's mode of operation. Right click on TeaTimer's system tray icon (labeled "Spybot-SD Resident"), place you cursor on "Resident IE" and then select the mode of operation that you would like.

When using "Ask for blocking confirmation", there is a problem with the implementation of "Always react this way" with both the "Allow" and "Deny". SDHelper stores the entire URL not just the domain. Because of this are likely have to respond to many URLs from the same domain. The problem has been recognized but has not been corrected yet:
[SDHelper] Remember decisions for whole domains
http://forums.spybot.info/project.php?issueid=136

foxrose
2008-03-28, 19:32
I did find the dropdown menu as instructed, and set the option to block silently. Thanks for the quick answer!

The reason I did not find the menu is because I was looking in the settings area of the Spybot program, thinking it would surely be there, thereby not reading carefully the instructions to go to the BROWSER tools menu. My bad.

The reason I could not find the tea timer options in the tray is that the icon does not show up. It had never shown up before, did show up yesterday right after I reinstalled the Spybot program, but did not show up on today's reboot. I found the "Customize Notifications" menu, but Tea Timer is not listed even though it made its brief (and only) appearance yesterday. Spybot is listed, but also does not show up in the tray. My tray seems to be flaky, as it seldom shows all the icons that I expect to appear, or even the same items from day to day.

I do not have any automation set for 'system start' or 'program start', but task manager shows TeaTimer.exe and SpybotSD.exe processes running (but no applications).

Where am I going wrong on all this?

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-28, 21:27
foxrose:

... The reason I could not find the tea timer options in the tray is that the icon does not show up. It had never shown up before, did show up yesterday right after I reinstalled the Spybot program, but did not show up on today's reboot. ...
If TeaTimer.exe is showing as executing in the Process tab of Windows Task Manager, the only thing that I can suggest is that you review the following:
Organize your notification area
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/tips/notification.mspx
If TeaTimer.exe is not showing as executing in the Process tab of Windows Task Manager, then there may be a problem with the startup entry for TeaTimer.exe that is causing it not to start when you reboot you system.

foxrose
2008-04-02, 02:39
TeaTimer is running per task manager, just no icon in the tray. I'll try your link to see why my tray icons seem so flaky.

Thanks

I just love the way MicroCrap software poses such continuous and challenging problems. I'm also amazed at why they never seem to understand that most of the literate world considers them incompetent bufoons.