PDA

View Full Version : Installation Spybot S&D 152

Knightonite
2008-03-29, 01:38
I use Firefox 2.0.0.13.
I've removed S S&D 1.4 and want to install my downloaded 1.52.
In Setup
- select additonal tasks / Permanent protection
there is option use I. Ex. protection (SDHelper)
I do not know if I should tick as I use Firefox the superior browser.
Will SDHelper give Firefox "protection"? if so what? :spider:
& Does SDHelper use Memory?

I extensively searched your FAQ & Forums (wasted loads of time):sad: - now my head hurts!:hair:

Any help would be much appreciated.
K

Zenobia
2008-03-29, 07:22
sdhelper was also present in Spybot 1.4.
No,sdhelper won't "protect" Firefox at all,it's only for Internet Explorer.There's a description of sdhelper here:

The second level of protection is Spybot's "Resident SD helper", which is also known as "Browser Helper to block bad downloads", "Spybot's-SD Resident" and "Resident IE" (depending on which Spybot S&D panel you may be on or how it is identified in the system tray icon). This is an active protection. It is a BHO (Browser Helper Object) that blocks the download of bad (malicious) files. There are three selectable modes that this can operate in: (1) Block all pages silently (2) Display dialog when blocking (3) Ask for blocking confirmation.

I mostly use Firefox myself,but I did checkmark sdhelper because I use Internet Explorer sometimes,so I figured I might as well enable it.

You can immunize Firefox with Spybot 1.5.2 now,though,which will help to protect Firefox.

MadelineC
2008-03-29, 09:27
It's best to check SD Helper even if you only use IE occasionally, any extra protection in IE is a good thing. You're safer using Firefox though, especially if you've got the NoScript extension and Spybot 1.5.2 of course!