PDA

View Full Version : Stuck.

drragostea
2008-03-30, 05:25
There were several programs in my add/remove window. I would like to know what they are for (and if it is necessary for my PC, because I have no idea what they are doing there):

Agere Spystems AC'97 Modem
OpenMG Limited Patch 3.4-03-12-16-01
OpenMG Secure Module 3.4.00
MSXML 6.0 Parser

Thank you.

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-30, 06:10
drragostea:

That could be a driver for your modem. What kind of modem do you have?

drragostea
2008-03-30, 15:22
Personally, I have no idea what modem I have... I apologize. And from Google I found that OpenMG is something related to Sony's SonicStage, which I do not need, and is required to play audio/music. I use DSL, perhaps its that modem model? md, maybe you can guide to find what kind of modem I have. Thanks. :fear:

2008-03-30, 23:10
There were several programs in my add/remove window. I would like to know what they are for (and if it is necessary for my PC, because I have no idea what they are doing there):

Agere Spystems AC'97 Modem
OpenMG Limited Patch 3.4-03-12-16-01
OpenMG Secure Module 3.4.00
MSXML 6.0 Parser

Thank you.

OpenMG Limited Patch 3.4-03-12-16-01-seems to be a secuirty patch for some program, no idea what.

OpenMG Secure Module 3.4.00-pc camera security update for the software for the pc camera according to several sites.

MSXML 6.0 Parser-security update from microsoft for a certain program it seems.......not exactly sure on any of those, but thats what i am finding. :)
Idk if that helps at all. Rule of thumb-don't remove a program if you don't know what it is. If you have no spyware or viruses, i wouldn't worry about it. :)

drragostea
2008-03-31, 04:28
Thanks, 129260. I'm looking forward to your results about the programs. It was odd. It had been there since I reformatted my PC. :fear:

2008-03-31, 18:03
on what those programs are. I would have no idea what there are there after u formatted and reinstalled everything...my guess would be to leave them alone if you have no spyware or viruises, or no slow system, i would not wry about it.

drragostea
2008-04-01, 02:41
Maybe I'm asking too much... lols. No. Thanks 129260. Btw, I was wondering about the Ghz. I run a Pentium 4
3.00 Ghz Windows OS. Can you elaborate on what the GHZ stands for? Is it the more the better or the other way around? :clown:

2008-04-01, 04:22
lol i used to know this................ughhh i cant remember. Basically it's how many calculations the computer can perform, the more ghz the better. see, before ghz, there was mhz. (megahurtz) gigahurtz performs way more calculations a second then megahurtz could. Basically, the more calculations-the faster things load, the faster and easier the computer can have more programs running. Ram (random access memory) works with your computers processor to deliver a temporary storage of data that the computer has to remember. Like settings, programs, etc. That is why when you open a program the first time, it opens slower then if you opened it before then exited and went to open it again. Restarting your system or shutting it down clears the ram (memory) unless u specify windows not to do so. It writes what settings are stored in the ram to your hard drive. So the more ram you have, the more programs you can run at once. A Pentium 4 processor is usually the best because it has a fast bus speed, it has like 2 brains, instead of 1. It can perform calculations more quickly then a standard processor. so to answer your question, the higher the number the faster and better it is. Older computers such as windows 98 usually run on anywhere between 100mhz and 400mhz processor. As the years developed, we were able to make the chips smaller and smaller and fast and faster. So that is why it is ghz now. One gigahurt per second of data calculated verses slower days of 1 megahurtz a second. I have a 2.50 ghz processor, it is a Intel. But, because it is not a Pentium 4, if you had the exact same number of ghz as i would, your computer would still be faster because it is a Pentium 4. It would have faster performance because it kind of has like 2 processors instead of one. This is the best way i could explain it. Hopefully that answers your question. :) whew that was alot haha* Hopefully that answers your question. :)

drragostea
2008-04-01, 04:40
Wow, quite some explanation 129260 >:D. Thanks. From how I see it, my Task Manager has two "CPU"s or Duo-core from how my friend says it. I run a 3.00 Ghz... Well, several weeks ago I checked out a Intel Duo Core 2... It only ran 1.60 Ghz. Yikes. Besides, 129260, what are the benefits of a Duo Core 2 compared to Intel 4? Thanks. And don't work yourself to death to make a explanation. Just a simple one, like the previous thread. Much thanks. :euro:

2008-04-01, 04:52
dual core means the computer "thinks" it has 2 processors, when in reality it is only one. It just runs so fast, programmers decided it would be easier to teach windows to think it was just 2 processors instead of teaching the computer (windows) that a cpu can be that fast with one processor. :)

drragostea
2008-04-01, 05:50
hahas, oh well. to make the "computer think". hrm. not so good. hahas, I would still prefer a Pentium 4, with duo cores, for that my PC does recognize it has duo cores. Thanks. Erm. 129260, (I sound like a nuisance :laugh:), but what is a "bus" when referring to computers? Like when people say a 533Mhz bus. ?

md usa spybot fan
2008-04-01, 07:01
... (I sound like a nuisance :laugh:), but what is a "bus" when referring to computers? Like when people say a 533Mhz bus. ?
See:
Front side bus
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_bus

drragostea
2008-04-01, 07:18
Thanks, md, but I would prefer 129260 to explain it. I found Wiki's page about the system bus too complicated... if you get my drift. :euro:

2008-04-01, 18:42
"In personal computers, the Front Side Bus (FSB) is the data transfer bus that carries information between the CPU and the northbridge of the Motherboard."

Its how fast the data can travel between the cpu (processor) and the motherboard. (the main board of the system, the brain in a sense.)

bitman
2008-04-01, 21:17
Why not just go to Intel, they make the things?

Front Side Bus Speed
The speed of the bus that connects the processor to main memory (RAM). As processors have become faster and faster, the system bus has become one of the chief bottlenecks in modern PCs. Typical bus speeds are 400 MHz, 533 MHz, 667 MHz, and 800 MHz.

Clock Speed
The speed at which the processor executes instructions. Every processor contains an internal clock that regulates the rate at which instructions are executed. It is expressed in Megahertz (MHz), which is 1 million cycles per second or Gigahertz (GHz), which is 1 billion cycles per second.

L2 Cache
The size of 2nd level cache. L2 Cache is ultra-fast memory that buffers information being transferred between the processor and the slower RAM in an attempt to speed these types of transfers.

Here's a link to a processor comparison chart, this has links to a Glossary I got this from. There's also links to the various processor types

Compare Desktop Processor Specifications (http://compare.intel.com/pcc/showchart.aspx?mmID=458896,33870,890247,880362,873036,850162&familyID=1&culture=en-US)

The reason that Core Duo and Core 2 Duo processors have lower processor clock speeds is that the older Pentium 4 got horribly hot, causing even higher power consumption and failures.

The new Core Duo design allows the operation of two (or more) cores in one processor, effectively doubling performance while running at the same speed. This also has the benefit of splitting the operation of programs onto different cores, allowing multiple programs to run simultaneously on different cores which can improve real operation even more.

Intel® Dual-Core Technology (http://www.intel.com/technology/computing/dual-core/index.htm)

Processors with Quad cores already exist and others will be coming. Since only a portion of the separate cores needs to be duplicated (registers, cache) and much can be shared, the size of the processor doesn't grow linerally, and larger processors are easier to cool than fast smaller ones.

Bitman

drragostea
2008-04-01, 23:30
Ah. Thanks 129260 and Bitman, I appreciate your contribution to this topic. I was just looking at a Pentium 4 on a shelf, with a 800 Mhz Bus. Now it all fits. :D. My Pentium 4 is getting old. I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a new chip or just get a new OS with Duo Core.

>On a second though... What are buffer overflows? "Buffer" was mentioned in the previous post. I apologize for the spamming of tech. questions. This will be the last one. Thanks.

2008-04-02, 18:12
Ah. Thanks 129260 and Bitman, I appreciate your contribution to this topic. I was just looking at a Pentium 4 on a shelf, with a 800 Mhz Bus. Now it all fits. :D. My Pentium 4 is getting old. I'm wondering if I should upgrade to a new chip or just get a new OS with Duo Core.

>On a second though... What are buffer overflows? "Buffer" was mentioned in the previous post. I apologize for the spamming of tech. questions. This will be the last one. Thanks.

I would think your system should be plenty. You sound like you have a very good system to me, why spend more money when it works fine the way it is? unless you want better performance, (which i can not see because that kind of system sounds really good) i think your fine.
As for the second:
Please see here: http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/sDefinition/0,,sid14_gci549024,00.html

drragostea
2008-04-02, 23:20
Ah. Thanks, 129260. My system is fine, I don't use it for gaming or anything. Just word processing and Internet.:euro:

2008-04-03, 17:40
Ah. Thanks, 129260. My system is fine, I don't use it for gaming or anything. Just word processing and Internet.:euro:

and don't need a better system :)

drragostea
2008-04-04, 02:22
Eh. I know. Mine is fine. I'm tempted to purchase Windows Home Server or Windows Seven in the future. ^.^ :fear: