PDA

View Full Version : Can't start scan (win2000)

ar-tee
2008-03-30, 20:30
I am installing the latest version on a new Win2000 setup.

I get an error message that says:

"You need to install the detection updates first by using the integrated update or the manual updater."

Too bad the updater tells me that there are no new updates available.

I'm sure that someone has already asked this before, but I don't have the patience to scroll through all the posts that have the keywords in the "search" result.

Sorry to be a crusty old grouch, but I am a crusty old grouch. Someone have the answer? Maybe I can return the favour for your help.

Thanks,
Ar-tee

md usa spybot fan
2008-03-30, 21:38
ar-tee (crusty old grouch):

I am installing the latest version on a new Win2000 setup. ....
I'll assume that you are attempting to install Spybot 1.5.2 and that you are downloading the installation file (spybotsd152.exe) from one of the sites listed on this Web page:
Mirror selection - The home of Spybot-S&D!
http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html

...I get an error message that says:

"You need to install the detection updates first by using the integrated update or the manual updater."

Too bad the updater tells me that there are no new updates available.

I have no idea what originated your problem since you just indicated that when you attempt to do an update that the integrated update indicates that there are not updates available.

This could possibly be caused by you inability to contact the download server. After you attempt to a "Search" for updates how long does it take before you receive the "No newer updates available" message?
If it is taking about 30 seconds for the "No newer updates available" message to appear, then the attempt is probably timing out without connecting to the update server.
If the "No newer updates available" message taking about 30 seconds, the problem may be something blocking access to the download server. If you have a firewall the updates in Spybot 1.5 are done using SDUpdate.exe and SDUpdate.exe must be authorized to access the internet through your firewall.

If the "No newer updates available" messages appears in a second or two if you were actually contacting the update server and something is indicating that there were in fact no updates to download and something in the update process may be out of sync.
If the "No newer updates available" messages appears in a second or two, to overcome the problem you could attempt to do a manual update by downloading and executing the spybotsd_includes.exe (http://www.spybotupdates.com/updates/files/spybotsd_includes.exe) from the following Web page:
Downloads - The home of Spybot-S&D!
http://www.spybot.info/en/download/index.html
The Item on that page is:
Detection updates 2008-03-26 - product description
md5: 50BE5F5310C2AEB6E7F1370678F4DB6C

This updates the detection rules. Only needed if you do not want to use the update function integrated into Spybot-S&D.

ar-tee
2008-03-30, 22:38
The problem occurred after I d/l'ed the updates, and tried to run it for the first time.

Trust me, after spending almost 1 hour (via dial-up) to get all the updates, they better be there!

ar-tee
2008-04-01, 09:08
After I d/l'ed the update s/w, it would still not work.

Took some detective work, but WinDoze put the update s/w in the folder for the 1.2 version that I ported from a Win9x machine, instead of the folder for 1.5.2.20 that I just installed.

OK............I kinda sorta feel stupid.

Old folks................what are you going to do with us?

Thanks for your help.