PDA

View Full Version : Spybot eliminates a user account

mayla
2008-04-02, 16:29
I'm new to Spybot. I've been having alot of trouble with my desktop, it's very slow and it does use 100% of the CPU, it was recommend to use spybot to eliminate adware/spyware. The problem is that when I run the program it wipes out one of the user accounts, I look over all the potential spyware before I request to fix the errors, and I don't see anything that may destroy the account.

2008-04-02, 18:24
Wipes out one of your user accounts? It starts deleting your user accounts on the computer?
1.) What windows version are you running?
2.) What version of spybot?

I am concerned you are highly infected because you said the computer is very slow and runs at 100% cpu usage. I also want to mention that spybot would not delete anything like user accounts on your computer, it only deletes what is found and selected for deletion/removal. There are known viruises and spyware that can delete user accounts and basically end up destroying your pc. I personally recommend that first you try restarting your computer and boot into safe mode. To boot into safe mode, when windows begins to load, hit f8 on your keyboard until a list shows up on the screen. Select safe mode with the arrow keys on the keyboard and hit enter. When loaded into safe mode, scan with your antiviruis and antispyware software, including spybot and remove anything found. Restart.
If that does not help, or the situation gets worse,
I suggest you post in the malware removal forum.
When seeking malware assistance: please post in the malware removal forum.
before you post read this:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

Here is the link to the malware removal forum:
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

mayla
2008-04-02, 22:17
After I ran the spybot program the first time, 1.5 latest edition, I am running Windows XP SP2, it couldn't find the .dll file to load up all the user preferences, so it created a new one, and it did keep the My Documents under the new created MY Documents, but we lost all settings. I did a restore. Everything back to normal. I know there's something wrong so I tried it again. This time it created a whole new user account and put all the old files to a Temp File. The only thing I can think off is that the files associated with this user account may be corrupted. After the first time, I backed up all the user's files, especially outlook files, I didn't want to lose contacts and emails. But it won't do me any good to restore the back up files if they are infected. I can definitely recreate the account with all the settings, I just don't want to lose the outlook files. I will try the steps you recommended and see what happens. Thank you.

mayla
2008-04-03, 16:09
I did the steps you recommended, and I recreated the user account. I ran the virus scan, spybot, everything comes out clean. I have everything in place, firewall, virus scan. But the CPU is still being used at 100%. I've looked at the different processes, and if I'm reading it correctly, I have several processes running at high CPU usage, including my virus scan and teatime. These programs do not run this high on my laptop. Do you think there is still a backdoor trojan running in disguise?

2008-04-03, 17:48
I would ask to have you place a hijack this log, but that's not allowed here, except for the malware removal forums which i would suggest you go to, to make completely sure your system is clean. Honestly, what you could do for me that might help, is hit ctrl-alt-delete and bring up task manager. click the processes tab. Click the work mem usage until the highest number is displayed at the top. Give me the top 7 names of the processes that are taking the most usage. This way i can search these processes and find out what they are. Thanks. Did you try safe mode like i suggested? You said you did what i suggested but i just want to double check with you that you did try scanning in safe mode? Also, could you list the security programs you use on your computer? Also, what is your processor speed, and how much ram do you have?
(you can find this info by right clicking my computer-properties. Tell me everything it says in the general tab.) thanks. :) I hope together we can figure this issue out. :)

mayla
2008-04-04, 01:06
I did run the scans in Safe Mode and I'm using McAfee Security Center, which has all the software, Firewall, Virus, Spyware. I have a Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz, 1.0GB. although I should have 2 GB Ram. I have to check the memory stick. Windows XP, SP2. At this time the CPU usage is running low, maybe that user account was holding something. But right now the CPU usage is staying between 0-15%. Hopefully I may have eliminated the infection. Thank you. I appreciated your help, although I will keep a close watch on what's going on in the background.:2thumb:

2008-04-04, 02:16
I did run the scans in Safe Mode and I'm using McAfee Security Center, which has all the software, Firewall, Virus, Spyware. I have a Pentium 4, 2.4 GHz, 1.0GB. although I should have 2 GB Ram. I have to check the memory stick. Windows XP, SP2. At this time the CPU usage is running low, maybe that user account was holding something. But right now the CPU usage is staying between 0-15%. Hopefully I may have eliminated the infection. Thank you. I appreciated your help, although I will keep a close watch on what's going on in the background.:2thumb:

Glad to hear that! :) If you have any more problems, i would post in the malware removal forums. ;)