PDA

View Full Version : can i delete original S&D

knobs
2008-04-03, 04:24
I am running 1.5.2.20. Can I delete the original app to free up some space?

spybotsandra
2008-04-03, 11:40
Hello,

Which original do you mean?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

AlienWhere?
2008-04-03, 18:34
Hello,

Which original do you mean?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Hi,

Not trying to hijack a thread here, but I had similar thoughts too.
My "original version" is 1.5.2
I am now running v1.5.2.20.

There are two distinct instances of S&D listed in the Add/Remove Programs applet yet I see ony one entry in my Start/All Programs and only one directory in C:\Program Files.

My Start/All Programs entry definitely starts up v1.5.2.20 so it looks like that is the only current running version. Can I uninstall v1.5.2 or is it needed as the base code for v1.5.2.20?

Also, I need to free up space on C:\ and would like to know how I can preserve my current S&D immunizations and whitelist/blacklist settings etc etc...

Sorry for the long winded post and hijacking.
Thanks in advance.

-Alienwhere?

md usa spybot fan
2008-04-03, 18:39
AlienWhere?:

Unless you intentionally installed the second Spybot in a differerent location there most likely are not two versions of Spybot installed. More that likely it is just a case were there are two uninstall entries. If you uninstall either via add and remove programs you will more than likely uninstall Spybot.

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > Uninstall Info. Select the two entries one at a time and delete the entry where:
The name of the entry does not contain a GLID "({B4092C6D-E886-4CB2-BA68-FE5A88D31DE6}_is1)".
The "uninstall cmd" does not point to the unins000.exe of where you installed the software.
If both entries have those features, than delete the one with the oldest "install date".

If you are not sure which entry to delete, right click on the listing and "Copy to clipboard". Then paste (Ctrl+V) those results to a new post in this thread editing out all entries except the two Spybot entries.

I uninstalled my previous version of Spybot before upgrading, therefore I only have one entry. That entry is Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.2.

Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.5.2 ({B4092C6D-E886-4CB2-BA68-FE5A88D31DE6}_is1)
install date: 20080131
install location: C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
uninstall cmd: "C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\unins000.exe"
publisher: Safer Networking Limited
help link: http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=support

AlienWhere?
2008-04-03, 19:47
AlienWhere?:

Unless you intentionally installed the second Spybot in a differerent location there most likely are not two versions of Spybot installed...

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Tools > Uninstall Info. Select the two entries one at a time and delete the entry where:
The name of the entry does not contain a GLID "({B4092C6D-E886-4CB2-BA68-FE5A88D31DE6}_is1)".
The "uninstall cmd" does not point to the unins000.exe of where you installed the software.
If both entries have those features, than delete the one with the oldest "install date".

If you are not sure which entry to delete, right click on the listing and "Copy to clipboard". Then paste (Ctrl+V) those results to a new post in this thread editing out all entries except the two Spybot entries.

Thanks md_usa.
In the Spybot uninstall area there is only one entry, so it appears that you are correct... if I uninstalled via XP Add/Remove I'd likely uninstall Spybot completely. Thanks for that info. :cool:

So that leads me to the latter mart of my previous post. Essentially, how can I preserve my current Immunizations & whitelist/blacklist data?
I need to uninstall Spybot from C:\ and re-install to a different drive with more space (my C:\ is very cramped and I am trying to resolve that issue) and I'd like to keep as much of my current settings and data and migrate it to the new install if possible.

If it can't be done, well that kinda sucks, but then again Spybot is so easy to use and setup that going through it one more time would hardly be difficult.

Thanks again!
Spybot Rulz!!! :2thumb:

Alienwhere?