PDA

View Full Version : User Accounts (inaccessible)

Jeemy-Boy
2006-02-24, 16:48
:scratch: Hello again SpyBot Experts. I get the following msg. when I try to access User Accounts (to change my password)...
'Wrong number of arguments or invalid property assignment'

I tried the following solution (found in the Forum Archives); but it didn't work.
Open Start, Run, type (without quotes) 'regsvr32 nusrmgr.cpl' press Enter.
Open Start, Run, type (without quotes) 'regsvr32 jscript.dll' press Enter.
Open Start, Run, type (without quotes) 'regsvr32 i mshtml.dll' press Enter.
Open Start, Run, type (without quotes) 'regsvr32 vbscript.dll' press Enter.

These commands all gave me a positive response (like they were accepted). But it still wasn't fixed.
I tried logging on as administrator in SAFE mode; still no good.
I tried logging on as administrator in SAFE mode with RESTORE option selected; still nothing.

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition; and I already got rid of that nasty SP2 patch K96866...? whatever it was called; that caused a lot of problems.

Any help anyone can offer is much appreciated.
Respectfully, Jim

Previous topic:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=1147&page=3

bitman
2006-02-25, 18:40
Jim,

I'm running Windows XP Home Edition; and I already got rid of that nasty SP2 patch K96866...? whatever it was called; that caused a lot of problems.
Was the patch "security update 896688" by any chance and what do you mean you 'got rid of it'?

What kind of problems did it cause?

Do any of these other problems occur on the same PC?

System Restore window is completely blank.
Windows Update page displays the following message even though the ActiveX control is already installed. Also, the Information bar does not appear, thus you're unable to re-install the Windows Update ActiveX control.

Install the ActiveX control required to view the website

Help and Support pages are incomplete.
System Information utility (MSINFO32) displays a blank window.
When you open Services.msc snap-in, the following error is displayed:

An error has occurred in the script on this page

Error: Object doesn't support this property or method

URL: res://C:\WINDOWS\System32\mmcndmgr.dll/views.htm

Organize Favorites dialog displays a Red X in Internet Explorer. (More info (http://windowsxp.mvps.org/images/shellnamespace0.JPG))

Jeemy-Boy
2006-02-28, 04:56
bitman: thanks for your reply. The answers to your questions are as follows... Yes the Patch was Security Update 896688 ; I removed it per suggestions from the forum. At the time it seemed to fix my problem with inability to access my User Accounts. I still don't have that patch on my system. The answers to all your other questions are YES. The Windows Update page did give me an error # if it helps you; it is... OX8DDD0004.
I seem to have a problem with my Norton Anti-Virus as well. It keeps telling me to "uninstall & reinstall" to fix the problem. After trying that several times it doesn't do any good. I can't run Nortons Automated Repair due to the fact I have some kind of Active X control problem. I have set my active X control settings per the forums reccomendations.
Hopefully I have given you all the information you need. Please let me know if you need any other data.
Thanks for your help. Respectfully, Jim

bitman
2006-02-28, 07:50
OK, just wanted to make sure before I sent you to where I found the answer.

ActiveX controls may not load as expected in Internet Explorer due to defense in depth changes introduced in cumulative security update 896688
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/olereg.htm

Download olereg.vbs (http://windowsxp.mvps.org/reg/olereg.vbs) and run the file from a Command Prompt. It performs some additional commands as well as some of those you already tried.

The reason I asked about 'getting rid of the patch' is that you shouldn't have. It only became an issue due to some kind of pre-existing problem on your PC. However, by now you've probably installed the later version of the Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer (910620) (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS06-004.mspx) that came out on February 14th.

Once this fix is run, the problems I listed above should be gone. Hopefully this will also fix your Norton issues, since a major part of this relates to ActiveX.

Jeemy-Boy
2006-03-01, 06:06
Bitman: I ran the olereg.vbs as you instructed; and now I can once again open-up my User Accounts. Also; I went to down-load the Windows Security Update KB910620 and realized it was for Windows 2000 & not XP as I have. However I was able to access the latest updates; whereas before it wouldn't work (i.e. search my system for needed updates).
Thanks so very much for all your help.
I believe I'm "good to go" now.
Appreciatively, Jim

bitman
2006-03-01, 06:37
Jeemy-Boy: Glad to hear it worked. I now understand why you had issues with the patch, since you were installing by hand while trying to work around the broken Windows Update.

Good luck and happy updating! :bigthumb:
Bitman