PDA

View Full Version : PRPI Pop-up

David Rothwell
2008-04-08, 21:16
My wife recently had a computer consultant in who cleaned up a lot of old and programs files and made her system (Dell 2300 with XP) run a lot faster. The consultant removed McAfee and installed AVG, AVAST, ZoneAlarm firewall, Spybot and AdWare, got rid of Microsoft IE (hid it) and installed Mozilla Firefox as the default web browser. The system seems a lot leaner and cleaner, except for this annoying PRPI pop-up which appears everytime my wife signs into her Rogers.Yahoo homepage. This looks like a dialer of some kind although we have a high speed cable connection with no phone on the service. There is little PRPI information on the web; as well, any references to PRPI are several years old. Spybot does not seem to take notice of this pop-up. Any ideas about how to track down this piece of code and get rid of the pop-up?

tashi
2008-04-08, 21:24
Hello,

The consultant removed McAfee and installed AVG, AVAST,

If you have two resident antivirus programs installed please remove one of them.
Rule of thumb is one Firewall/AV to avoid conflicts and loss of program efficiency.

Please see the stickied procedure for this forum: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

It would be best if you start a new topic, and then I will close this one as helpers look for threads with no response. ;)

Cheers.

David Rothwell
2008-04-09, 17:05
My wife recently had a computer consultant in who cleaned up a lot of old and programs files and made her system (Dell 2300 with XP) run a lot faster. The consultant removed McAfee and installed AVG, AVAST, ZoneAlarm firewall, Spybot and AdWare, got rid of Microsoft IE (hid it) and installed Mozilla Firefox as the default web browser. The system seems a lot leaner and cleaner, except for this annoying PRPI pop-up which appears everytime my wife signs into her Rogers.Yahoo homepage. This looks like a dialer of some kind although we have a high speed cable connection with no phone on the service. There is little PRPI information on the web; as well, any references to PRPI are several years old. Spybot does not seem to take notice of this pop-up. Any ideas about how to track down this piece of code and get rid of the pop-up?

tashi
2008-04-09, 17:41
Please see the stickied procedure for this forum: "BEFORE you POST"(READ this Procedure BEFORE Requesting Assistance) (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288)

Please read the sticky and start a new topic providing the log/s requested.

Best regards.