PDA

View Full Version : Help! Installing detection updates

glowboy
2008-04-09, 20:27
Having downloaded the upgrade. When I try to start scan
I get the message 'You need to install detection updates first by using the integrated update or the manual update.'

"From the help file since I cannot find or access a screen that offers me integrated updates. Back inside Spybot-S&D go to the Advanced Mode (via menu Mode), then choose Settings → Settings, and scroll down to the entry Automation - Web update - Use proxy. Now check the box below it, and a dialog will appear where you can enter your proxy settings.

The format is host:port (the host is the name, the port the number you found in your browser).

This is greek to me I don't understand what proxy means.

My port would be 80 what is the name of the host? Is that the browser or the
i.s.p. that I am using?

I use a netscape browser that allows me to turn on proxy settings figuring that if I do this that I will be allowed to access a dialog box enabling me to install detection updates?

Any help would be most appreciated

glowboy

drragostea
2008-04-11, 00:07
Hi glowboy. I, too do not know much about proxies and their functions, but don't be embarrassed. Heres a link describing proxies:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_server

Well, from how I see it... proxies are more... like a "server". You connect to the internet through them. However, not all proxies are good. Some are "hostile" and are used for criminal/illegal purposes (eavesdrop).

drragostea
2008-04-11, 00:09
In addition, did you install all the latest updates? Also, the latest Spybot-SD is 1.5.20. In my perspective, I would not recommend using or playing around with the advanced settings, since I do not use them. I would suggest reinstalling Spybot-SD (fresh install). First remove your current Spybot-SD via Add/Remove programs window. If Windows tells you to reboot, then reboot. Lastly, install a new copy. :euro:

glowboy
2008-04-11, 05:27
Thanks for the replies Drragostea! I will look up the reference and probably try re-installing. I had an older version and thought of the upgrade which lead to this problem. Will report back.
Cheers.

timmerz
2008-04-11, 13:11
Glowboy, I'm having the same issue and just started a new thread about it...should have looked around some before I did it, I guess, but I'm the impatient type...
Did your issue resolve with an uninstall/re-install fresh?
Thanks in advance,
Timmerz

drragostea
2008-04-11, 22:25
@glowboy, no problem. A fresh install of the version should solve the problem along with the patches of the latest updated. In addition... for example if a user still had v.1.4 on their computer, Spybot will not distribute v.1.5 by it's updates in the program. You'll have to download a new copy from Spybot-SD's website.

Zenobia
2008-04-12, 03:34
glowboy,do you use a proxy,or were you just following the helpfile,since you could not update?It could also possibly be that your firewall is blocking the updates.Please see md usa spybot fan's post here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=181242&postcount=5

You could also download the detection updates manually:
http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=181239&postcount=2

Jacques P
2008-04-12, 17:10
@glowboy, no problem. A fresh install of the version should solve the problem along with the patches of the latest updated. In addition... for example if a user still had v.1.4 on their computer, Spybot will not distribute v.1.5 by it's updates in the program. You'll have to download a new copy from Spybot-SD's website.

Well, I had version 1.4, and version 1.5.2 was proposed in the list of updates ! I installed it : it does'nt work, and even blocks my computer. I uninstalled Spoybot (even deleting all the files left after the uninstall process). I reinstalled from scratch : same problem !

md usa spybot fan
2008-04-12, 18:26
Jacques P:

Did you try either of the solutions suggested by Zenobia (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=145) in the post above your's?

drragostea
2008-04-12, 18:55
It may be a firewall blocking the updates. @Jacques P, you said v.1.5.2 appeared in your v.1.4 updates? That might explain why Spybot later was not functioning well.