PDA

View Full Version : SpybotSD.exe is missing every time I try to install it...

Kagri
2008-04-12, 11:33
Hello!

I'm trying to fix a computer of my bf's parents which apparently wasn't secure at all and had no Windows XP SP2 installed.

It's full of spyware and I tried to remove it by installing Spybot but it won't let me install it correctly, every time Spybot.exe is missing!

Then I tried to install Windows Defender, but before I could do it I had to install SP2. I did this and Windows Defender couldn't be installed correctly either... I think it's being blocked by all the bad programs!

I can't even open the Task Manager, it says it's been disabled by the administrator and I'm sure it's also the fault of all the virusses...

There is Avira AntiVir installed and everytime it detects two troyan horses. When I click "delete" or "move to quarantine" these virusses seem to re-install themselves because everytime you restart the computer it says the same again. Also, everytime AntiVir hangs on Boot C: (at about 98% complete) sector and never finishes the full scan of the computer... When I update AntiVir it says that an error has occured. It does update it, but I'm not sure if correctly... I also keep seeing this "your computer is infected" popup which itself is spyware...

I cannot reinstall Windows completely because there is no recovery CD! This computer came with Windows preinstalled and it supposed to have a recovery CD but it's nowhere to be found.

I'm really at loss here, how can I install Spybot correctly to remove all the crap? :sad:

Thank you very much for your help!

Zenobia
2008-04-12, 19:47
If it's okay with your bf's parent's,you could ask for help in malware removal.

The instructions are here:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=288

If you cannot run the Spybot or Anti Virus scan at all, please go ahead and post the HJT log along with a note regarding scan/s failure.

Malware removal:
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22

Kagri
2008-04-12, 20:42
Thank you for your advice! :) I'll be sure to try it!

Zenobia
2008-04-12, 20:52
You're welcome.Hope you get the computer all fixed up. :bigthumb: