PDA

View Full Version : I never get any results any more, no way..

YMUK13
2006-02-26, 13:52
I have recently downloaded a file that caused some problem with my computer including unstoppable popups of changes to registry key on start up.:eek:
I have managed to stop it by disabling TeaTimer and when I reinstall, the problem stopped. However, when I opened Spybot I got a message that something changed in the program and that it is recommended that I scan my computer for viruses. I did it but didn’t find any. Since then Spybot never find anything on my computer. I tried to reinstall and checked the file sets but all look ok. Any idea?
:scratch: :confused:

spybotsandra
2006-02-27, 10:30
Hello,

Please try this link:
http://www.safer-networking.org/files/temp/sbsd141pefix.zip
This is a beta version of Spybot-S&D where this bug should be fixed.
This .zip file contains the exe file. Just copy it to your Spybot-S&D folder over the old spybot file.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

YMUK13
2006-02-27, 23:24
Thanks Sandra but no luck.
I have deleted the existing Spybot-S&D file and run the one I downloaded but still didn’t receive any results.

Any other options?
:scratch: :(

Lynn1
2006-03-02, 14:03
After I ran hijackthis, I deleted some spyware (123 search, my web search) and a few other unwanted things in safe mode. Since I did that, Spybot pops up every change on starting up my computer. Before those changes, Spybot would only do one pop-up, the same one, each time I started it up: Allow refresh page , I think. All of the other changes I allowed popped up only the next time I booted the computer. Now I'm getting about 8 of them. I have just downloaded the Beta version you mentioned, but I'm wondering if Hijackthis had something to do with the changes in Spybot's behavior?:confused:

md usa spybot fan
2006-03-02, 15:17
Lynn1:

TeaTimer takes snapshots of Registry entries and compares these with the Registry at startup. Until these snapshots are updated you are likely to get pop-ups (at startup) of changes you made in the past. In other words, TeaTimer attempts to return the Registry to the state it was in when the snapshot was taken. This happens primarily when you reboot the system. To refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files:
Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
TeaTimer closes.
TeaTimer's snapshot files are refreshed at this time.

Restart TeaTimer:
Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

Lynn1
2006-03-02, 21:21
Thank you so much! Worked like a charm! I downloaded that Beta version, put it in the wrong directory, and now want to remove it, but it isn't on my Add/Remove program list. I downloaded it into the Spybot S&D program file as a second exe file, but couldn't open it (of course--no setup). It's not urgent that I remove it unless spybot confuses it with the original 1.4 version. I'm not sure what "copy it over your old exe file" means (dense, I know). If both versions are there, will I have major problems?

Again, I'm rejoicing about the banished pop-ups!!! I really appreciate the prompt reply--you all are fantastic! :)

md usa spybot fan
2006-03-02, 23:39
Lynn1:

The beta in spybotsandra (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=5)'s post only appears to have been a replacement file for SpybotSD.exe and not an installation file.

If you download the sbsd141pefix.zip and then did not extract the SpybotSD.exe file from it and replace the original SpybotSD.exe file then no action is required.

If you replaced the original SpybotSD.exe with the beta version, then you should consider replacing the SpybotSD.exe beta file with the original SpybotSD.exe file. If you don't have a copy of the original SpybotSD.exe file then you must consider uninstalling Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4 and re-installing it in order to get rid of the Beta version.

Note: The SpybotSD.exe is normally located in the following directory C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy

noel-pr7
2006-07-29, 21:32
Lynn1:

The beta in spybotsandra (http://forums.spybot.info/member.php?u=5)'s post only appears to have been a replacement file for SpybotSD.exe and not an installation file.

If you download the sbsd141pefix.zip and then did not extract the SpybotSD.exe file from it and replace the original SpybotSD.exe file then no action is required.

If you replaced the original SpybotSD.exe with the beta version, then you should consider replacing the SpybotSD.exe beta file with the original SpybotSD.exe file. If you don't have a copy of the original SpybotSD.exe file then you must consider uninstalling Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4 and re-installing it in order to get rid of the Beta version.

Note: The SpybotSD.exe is normally located in the following directory C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy

I have confirmed that the updated spybotsd.exe file from the sbsd141pefix.zip package does work under win95 as I have tested it on an old win95 PC of mine, md usa spybot fan.