PDA

View Full Version : SBS&D Update 1.5.2 Problem

frostfrank
2008-04-14, 18:45
I tried twice to update to 1.5.2 and had an error. I tried to remove the download files so I could download again but was unable to delete "spybotsd152.exe" with an error msg "In use by another program".
I have:
*rebooted (several times)
*checked processes to find who is usung it (no spybot progs running)
*removed SpybotS&D from the system (Add/Remove)
*Downloaded 152 files and tried to load again
The download didn't work, and I still can't delete the file.
Can anyone tell me how I can delete "spybotsd152.exe" which still showes is being used by another program?
Thanks for any help
Frank

drragostea
2008-04-14, 22:45
Hi. When you say you try to update to v.1.5.2... do you attempt to install the updates while the install wizard is still up? Or do you mean you cannot install the updates after you installed v.1.5.2?

Greyfox
2008-04-15, 07:39
Spybotsd152.exe is the download file that you run to install SpybotSD version 1.5.2 onto your computer, and would not itself be subject to uninstalling from Add/Remove.

Perhaps you could try booting up your PC into Safe mode (F8 during startup) and then manually deleting Spybotsd152.exe.

frostfrank
2008-04-15, 19:45
drragostea -
I have deleted all spybot with add/remove. When I download the 152 install files and run them I get the error msg
"Error sending request"
"The server name or address could not be resolved"
I get this msg in the install wizard.
Greyfox -
The file I cannot delete is on my desktop. When I do a XP delete I get the msg:
"Cannot delete spybot152: it is being used by another person or program"
I booted into safe mode and got the same msg.
Any further help would be appreciated.
Thanks Frank

md usa spybot fan
2008-04-15, 20:12
frostfrank:

... When I download the 152 install files and run them I get the error msg
"Error sending request"
"The server name or address could not be resolved"
I get this msg in the install wizard.
This appears to be a problem cause by certain firewalls or because you are sitting behind a proxy server. The solution to this problem is to skip trying to update during the installation and update after the installation, making sure that you authorize program SDUpdate.exe to access the internet via your firewall and/or define the proxy settings.

Please read my suggestion in post #5 (http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=166620&postcount=5) of this thread:
Install Issue...
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=24601

frostfrank
2008-04-16, 16:54
md usa sybot fan -
Thanks, that solved my load problem
-
I still have the problem of deleting the spybotsd152.exe file.
can anyone help?
Thanks, Frank

Greyfox
2008-04-17, 15:08
I still have the problem of deleting the spybotsd152.exe file.
can anyone help?

Frank, What happens if you double click on the spybotsd152.exe file on your desktop - does it activate the normal install process?. If so you might try letting the process run to the point where it brings up the "Welcome to the Spybot Search & Destroy Wizard", then click on cancel.

frostfrank
2008-04-17, 20:01
Greyfox - When I click spybotsd152.exe it puts up a DOS type box and then goes away. The install wizard does not start. This may be more a XP problem then a Spybot one. I just wonder if this file is marked as being used when it is not. Thanks again.
Frank

Greyfox
2008-04-18, 10:13
Greyfox - When I click spybotsd152.exe it puts up a DOS type box and then goes away. The install wizard does not start. This may be more a XP problem then a Spybot one. I just wonder if this file is marked as being used when it is not. Thanks again.
Frank

Frank, it may be a case of trying to find out what process is being see as still using this file perhaps with a utility like Process Explorer, however it may also be worth considering simply copying a new spybotSD152.exe over the old file on the desktop (it may allow you to do this even though it considers it is in use) and then running it, either to the point where the wizard dialogue comes up and then cancel, or even let it complete the install (without getting the upgrades during the installation).

Also has anyone else got any thoughts on this problem?