PDA

View Full Version : Always Scans On Startup - How Do I Stop This?

AndyCr15
2008-04-15, 10:00
Spybot S&D always runs a scan as I log in. I did select this one time, now I've unselected that in the settings, but it still seems to run every time I log in. It slows me getting to desktop by a minute or two :(

spybotsandra
2008-04-15, 14:10
Hello,

In order to undo Spybot-S&D's automation, you can delete the configuration file (which is named Configuration.ini). Where it is located depends on your Windows version:
Please be sure that hidden files are shown. Please have a look at this page (http://www.xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4155-1916458,00.html) to see how to show hidden files and folders.

For Windows 95/98, the file is located in C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
For Windows ME, the file is located in C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
For Windows NT/2000/XP, you will find it in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\

Either delete that file, or edit it (for example in notepad) setting all the Automation values in it to zero.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

AndyCr15
2008-04-15, 14:44
Hmm -

[Automation]
SystemStart=NoAutomation

[Automation\SystemStart]
AutoCheck=0
AutoFix=0
WaitStart=0
WaitPrograms=0
WaitMore=0
AutoClose=0

It's all already zero? Any ideas?

spybotsandra
2008-04-15, 16:21
Hello,

Please have a look if you still have a Spybot file in the startup files.
Open Spybot in the advanced mode via the menu item mode, go to 'tools'->'System Startup'
If you have the Spybot.exe there then mark the entry and remove it.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

AndyCr15
2008-04-15, 17:15
Hmm, SpyBot is listed a few times, for example -

Located: HK_LM:RunOnce, SpybotDeletingC5288
command: cmd /c del "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{A89AED22-9133-424c-88E7-C8235C5FF302}\components\MeMedia_FF.dll"
file: C:\Windows\system32\cmd.exe
size: 320000
MD5: 349CD4318E6E351C9BB72EE13B7CA807

When I unselect them, I think SpyBot itself stops the registry change from happening. I think I selected 'remember this choice' and denied it one time. How do I remove these from my blacklist?

One of them is SpyBot itself, but the same thing happens if I untick it.

I presume TeaTimer I leave though?

Thanks for the help.

spybotsandra
2008-04-15, 17:20
Hello,

That item is a file that Spybot has deleted after a scan.
So you probably did not start your pc new?
Please do this and scan again. Then this item should be fixed.

In order to change the blacklist please right-click the Resident icon in the system tray "Spybot S&D resident" and select "Settings". There you will find 4 lists for remembered decisions (allowed/denied processes and registry changes). In order to remove an entry just click on the cross next to it. TeaTimer will then "forget" this decision and you will be asked again the next time.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot