PDA

View Full Version : I need a little help ASAP

firebrddriver
2008-04-16, 05:36
I followed the instructions listed below,,but after turning off teatimer and then trying to start it,,I can't find the teatimer.exe

TeaTimer takes snapshots of Registry entries and compares these with the Registry at startup. Until these snapshots are updated you are likely to get pop-ups (at startup) of changes you made in the past. In other words, TeaTimer attempts to return the Registry to the state it was in when the snapshot was taken. This happens primarily when you reboot the system. To refresh TeaTimer's snapshot files:

* Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
o TeaTimer closes.
o TeaTimer's snapshot files are refreshed at this time.
* Restart TeaTimer:
o Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
o Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

Like I said if I can't find the .exe file

md usa spybot fan
2008-04-16, 05:50
firebrddriver:

What version of Spybot are you running? Since you can't find TeaTimer.exe I assume you are running Spybot 1.5.

Those instructions only applied to Spybot 1.3 and 1.4. That problem does not exist in the version of TeaTimer included in Spybot 1.5.

In Spybot 1.5 some of Spybot's executables are hidden a protected operating system files. To see them:
Using Windows Explorer navigate to:
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy
In the Tools menu select Folder Options…
In the Folder Options dialog select the View tab.
Under the "Hidden files and folders" options:
Make sure "Show hidden files and folders" is selected.
Not "Do not show hidden files and folders".
Uncheck the following option:
Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)
Click the Apply button.
Click the OK button.
The files should now be displayed
Note: If you uncheck the "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" option to view Spybot's executables, I suggest that you return the option to its original setting when you are done.

firebrddriver
2008-04-16, 05:59
Running 1.5,,in other words,,I really didn't turn off tea timer,,is that correct,,spybot is running OK

firebrddriver
2008-04-16, 06:07
I'm not even going to try to uncheck "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)",,my luck I'll totally screw this thing up,,as long as I know teatimer is running I'm satisfied. Thank you.

md usa spybot fan
2008-04-16, 06:08
firebrddriver:

If you right clicked on Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon and then clicked exit Spybot-S&D Resident, you shut down TeaTimer. However, recycling TeaTimer is not going to accomplish what those instructions were designed to accomplish because the problem do not exist in Spybot 1.5.

firebrddriver
2008-04-16, 06:12
So,,in other words,,everything is fine,,correct?

md usa spybot fan
2008-04-16, 06:24
firebrddriver:

Not if exited TeaTimer and didn't restart it, it's not.

firebrddriver
2008-04-16, 07:05
What I did was follow the instructions these instructions,,,

* Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
o TeaTimer closes.
o TeaTimer's snapshot files are refreshed at this time.
* Restart TeaTimer:
o Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
o Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.

however,,I am running 1.5,,basically all I did was,,,"exit spybot-S&D resident" ,,if I right click on the spybot icon the resident protection is checked. So did I turn off teatimer when I orginally followed those instructions? If I go into spybot advanced mode and click on resident it says that teatimer is active.

firebrddriver
2008-04-16, 07:15
I checked the hidden files,,found an icon for teatimer but didn't do anything,,should I click on it?

firebrddriver
2008-04-16, 07:22
I'm a bit confused,,all I thought I did was turn off spybot when I clicked on the "exit spybot resident",,I then restared spybot from my desk top,,now heres where I'm confused,,by restarting spybot,,did I also start tea timer??,,,in other words,,by clicking on "exit spybot resident" (which started this whole thread),,, will I now have to manually restart tea timer even thou I restarted spybot?,,hope you understand. Like I said in an earlier post,,in the advanced mode its showing tea timer active and resident protection is checked in the system tray

firebrddriver
2008-04-16, 07:34
I think there may have been some mis-communication in my original post where i said,,"I followed the instructions listed below,,but after turning off teatimer and then trying to start it,,I can't find the teatimer.exe",,what i orginally did was follow the instructions and exited spybot S&D resident,,,I thought by doing this I was turning off teatimer,,,,but i am running 1.5 so didn't I just shut down the entire spybot and not just the teatimer itself? Also isn't there some way to know if teatimer is running???

md usa spybot fan
2008-04-16, 10:17
Firebrddriver:

The icon in the Taskbar notification area (system tray) labeled "Spybot-SD Resident" is also know as the TeaTimer icon because it is only present when TeaTimer is running. If you right click on that icon and click "Exit Spybot-S&D Resident", you exit TeaTimer.exe.

When you first go into Spybot » Mode » Advanced Mode » Tools » Resident, if the following item is checked it indicates that there is a startup entry for TeaTimer.exe in the HKCU registry hive. If it is not checked it indicates that there is no startup entry in the HKCU registry hive for TeaTimer.exe:
Resident "TeaTimer" (Protection of over-all system settings) active.
In other words, the presences or absence of a checkmark does not necessary indicate the status of TeaTimer, it indicates the presences or absences of a startup entry for TeaTimer. For example: If that item was checked to begin with and you exit TeaTimer as described above, that item will remain checked.

Unless you have deliberately suppressed the TeaTimer icon from appearing (see TeaTimer icon in System Tray ( http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=26357)) then the presences or absences of the TeaTimer icon would normally indicate if TeaTimer was running or not. The best way to check if TeaTimer is running or not is start Windows Task Manager and look in the Processes tab for TeaTimer.exe.

firebrddriver
2008-04-16, 14:17
Ok,,task manager says its running,,,like I said I think I didn't phrase my original question correctly to start with,,plus I was a bit confused about what would happen if I did click on the "Exit Spybot S&D Resident". I never consciously surpressed tea timer,,, ,however I throught by just clicking on "Exit Spybot-S&D Resident" that I was just shutting the entire spybot program down,,and by restarting Spybot from my desk top,,tea timer would be active again. But like I said,,teatimer.exe is running in the task manager processes tab so I guess everything is OK. Thanks again. Hope I made some sense in my explainations. I'm not very good at this.,,btw the only time the icon for spybot in the system tray disappeared is when I first clicked on the exit spybot S&D resident.