PDA

View Full Version : Error after removing Smitfraud

gebs04
2008-04-17, 01:08
After reading several threads here and apparently successfully removing Smitfraud while running in Safe Mode, I am continuing to have a minorly major issue that is irritating to say the least. Here's the issue:

My desktop is currently white. I cannot right-click or double click to change the desktop. When I go through the Control Panel - Display to change the setting a Windows error pops up stating it cannot find the following file: /// c:/windows/privacy_danger/index.htm

While I am not the most technically savvy computer person, I know enough to be dangerous, and enough to know when to say "uncle." This error appears to be the last remaining evidence of the Smitfraud virus. Could someone provide guidance on how to correct this issue?

Thank you.

drragostea
2008-04-17, 01:18
Hello, gebs. I'm not computer savvy either, so its okay. I know the basics. Well Smitfraud can be a nasty trojan because it connects your computer to malicious websites. My aunt had Smitfraud... and a keylogger attached. I found that Spybot-SD was unable to remove Smitfraud because it is attached to the .sys.core. and also something else when the computer boots up. They're both registry keys. So when the computer boots up so does Smitfraud... It was funny how I removed it. I used Superantispyware 4 (just Googled it) to remove Smitfraud. I can tell you its magic. Well, the story is the the program I mentioned removed Smitfraud and Spybot-SD removed the rest. I would suggest you try it. It should clean the traces of Smitfraud with the program. I'll look forward to your results. :)