PDA

View Full Version : Tetrabyte Computer

Digbythickness
2008-04-17, 13:54
I had posted originally requesting any inptu regarding a computer upgrade, with a TetraByte of Memory, and many did not recognize the word or the concept.
I found this ;

http://www.informationweek.com/news/hardware/desktop/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=177102947&pgno=1&queryText=&isPrev=

sorry I cannot figure out how to post it as a hyperlink but cut n paste gets you right to it, tho you have to close the embedded advert.

and would request that ALL look at it and thosde with knowledge, which I do not posess, evaluate this as to its pheasability - basically is this do able or is it pure cucka ?

I am also not sure that I could do it, given my very limited knowledge and skills but if its possible, well thats a first step. I could possibly get a college student computer major to do the assembly for a few $

anyways, I welcome any and all feedback .

Thankx.:present:

shelf life
2008-04-17, 23:43
hi Digbythickness,

the article is talking about hard drive capacity (storage) not memory (RAM).
Personally i wouldn't need such large capacity but maybe you would.
At the current US$225 for a TB (one source) i would rather put my money somewhere else in the the computer like a decent mainboard/cpu/memory combo and build around that. when its all said and done its the mainboard that will determine the rest of the components and peripherals that can go into building a computer.

drragostea
2008-04-18, 04:43
dig, didn't you start a thread about this issue already? In my opinion, I have never heard of Tetrabyte. Tetra means five or four although I may not correct. There is however, TB (terrabyte) or 1,000 GBs. You are confusing the terms memory and capacity. :coffee:

Digbythickness
2008-04-18, 08:49
hmm, I must have a gremlin lurking in my T key. TerraByte not tetra. sorry bout that.
BUT
to answer my direct query ; is this technically possible ? I understand that it is discussing CPU storage, I also noted, in my laymans ignorance, a mention of a potential issue with heat build up - and lastly, I am also aware that this article is over 2 years old.
so, is this doable ?
is it worth doing as far as home usage ?
thanks for replying

ndmmxiaomayi
2008-04-18, 12:06
Normal users who don't have so much files don't really need so much space.

I've got 1 120GB HDD and I don't know who to use it. :laugh:

However, if you are into video or image editing, yes, I don't even think 1TB would ever be enough. My friends have enough to fill up more than 1TB.

drragostea
2008-04-18, 21:01
Well, at the moment... I do not think that the 2008-09 era can afford to create a 1 TB chip of memory. I mean many Vista's take around 2-4 GB of memory. A supercomputer will generally take up to 32GB of memory. I have 512 MB of memory; I just use it for word processing and web browsing. I have played Microsoft games (Halo) on this computer and it worked fine. I just had to disable some of the visual enhancements to make the game run faster.