PDA

View Full Version : mcsysmon using 100% cpu when signing onto AOL

hotlilshan
2008-04-17, 19:57
A few months ago, I installed Spybot and ran through it's initial setup process (backing up registry, immunizing system, etc). Since then, when I try to log onto AOL (at the stage where AOL is checking your password), my cpu usage jumps to 100% and mcsysmon is the file that's using 100% of my cpu. I have to end that process in order to sign in to AOL. I've tried uninstalling AOL, Spybot, and McAfee Security Center. Then only reinstalling AOL and McAfee (because I've read where Spybot's "immunixation" function is part of this issue. I've contacted AOL, and of course they point me to McAfee. McAfee gave me instructions how to go into Spybot's advanced settings and disable "immunize on program start if program has been updated". The problem with this is at the time I didn't have Spybot installed. I re-installed Spybot, and that setting was already unchecked. My question is (I guess), is there a way to reverse the "immunization" Spybot performed, or how else can I resolve this issue? I know AOL has their own version of McAfee protection, but that was not installed when I installed AOL. My McAfee protection comes from an online purchase. Now that I currently have Spybot installed, my McAfee randomly is disabling it's System Guard Protection (which is part of that mcsysmon file). This is so frustrating because it involves 3 different companies/programs, and I don't know which company to focus my troubleshooting on. Please help...

md usa spybot fan
2008-04-17, 20:29
hotlilshan:

The problem not only occurs with Spybot but other third-party applications which add restricted sites to Internet Explorer and probably could occur if you manually added too many sites to the Restricted zone. McAfee's cure for the problem is to eliminate all Internet Explorer Restricted site entries. See:
ERROR AOL ERROR (AC-0000) error 0x90000000 (when logging in to AOL 9)
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=307211&lc=1033&partner=McAfee&type=TS&ia=1
My personal opinion it that it is clearly a McAfee problem and as I stated in post #21 (http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=180579&postcount=21) of this thread:
AOL problems w/spybot
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=22059

It seems amazing to me that McAfee a company that provides "Antivirus Software and Intrusion Prevention Solutions" (their words, not mine) recommends the elimination of your Internet Explorer Restricted zone entries to get AOL to work.

hotlilshan
2008-04-17, 22:00
I don't know how I missed those instructions on McAfee's website, but thanks for pointing me in that direction. On my first try to sign in to AOL (after completing those steps), I had no issues. I hope it stays that way. Thanks again...

md usa spybot fan
2008-04-17, 23:22
hotlilshan:

Although the instructions work, I hope you keep after McAfee to correct the underlying problem. From their instructions:

Step 1 - Verify that you have restricted sites in Internet Explorer
[list=1] Open Internet Explorer.
In the Tools menu, select Internet Options.
From the Security tab, select Restricted Sites.
Click the Sites button, then review the list of websites.

If the list shows any websites as restricted, continue to Step 2.
The following line disturbs me:

If the list shows any websites as restricted, continue to Step 2.
The "… any websites …" would indicate to me that they:
Have not (or possibly even tried) to determine how many site can or can not be added to the restricted site zone before their software loops enough to cause a problem logging on to AOL.
Attempted to correct their code so that it can work with entries in the restricted site zone.