PDA

View Full Version : why block BAIDU.COM

flsound
2008-04-20, 13:32
Program version: 1.5.2
Update version: 2008-04-16
My email:

WWW.BAIDU.COM can not log in after updating. And ZHIDAO.BAIDU.COM, Mp3.BAIDU.COM, etc. were add to the list of Restrain website. Baidu is a normal chinese seach site as GOOGLE. I have to uninstall spybot. I hope the problem can be solved in the next update version.

Yodama
2008-04-21, 08:15
Baidu promotes it toolbar by installing it without user consent. It also hijacks the browser settings and sets its website as default start page.
The toolbar is also responsible for popup advertising.

If you need to log in to baidu websites you may manually remove them from the Internet Explorers restricted websites and hosts file or undo the immunization, uninstallation of Spybot is not a solution since the immunization will then still be in place. If you use the SDHelper you will also have to set it to allow access to baidu websites.

wolssiloa
2008-04-29, 18:25
Program version: 1.5.2
Update version: 2008-04-2x

I don't understand, when I go to baidu.com using either IE7 or Firefox, I don't get any notification that it wants to install a toolbar. I do not have any other toolbars installed on my system either.

flsound
2008-05-03, 11:59
Baidu promotes it toolbar by installing it without user consent. It also hijacks the browser settings and sets its website as default start page.

The situation has never happened in my computer.

The toolbar is also responsible for popup advertising.

OK. I admitted it. But I think blocking bar.baidu.com is enough.

If you need to log in to baidu websites you may manually remove them from the Internet Explorers restricted websites and hosts file or undo the immunization, uninstallation of Spybot is not a solution since the immunization will then still be in place.

I have manually removed them from the Internet Explorers restricted websites and hosts file, but it doesn't work. And Spybot block Baidu without any hint. So I thought there may be some viruses in my computer. It had taken me a day for reinstalling winXP until I found the true reason. I uninstall spybot and the problem was solved. I felt very unhappy.

If you use the SDHelper you will also have to set it to allow access to baidu websites.

I use the SDHelper but I CAN NOT FIND ANY OPTIONS TO SET IT.

Yodama
2008-05-06, 08:45
It is not said that Baidu software always reacts as described. The official installers do perform correctly, but appearently Baidu also promotes its software through bad affiliates or it distributes 'inofficial' versions by itself.

There is also an application still hosted on the main Baidu servers from 2003 which give reason to believe that Baidu took precaution from being blocked from security software.

If you are unfamiliar with the usage of Spybot S&D you can request how to instructions with our support team via email or the general forums. We will not remove a site from Immunization just because one or two users cannot handle the SDHelper. Baidu will be removed from Immunization only if the site and its software do not appear to be rogue anymore.

There have been many search sites which promoted their software through malicious channels, the marketing divisions usually have no reservation to actually pay criminals to do their work. Either those companies learn that such behavior is bad or they will get blocked.

cirrus012
2008-05-07, 10:29
Hi, I can't access baidu and am using Mozillla Firefox. How do I remove files from the hosts files?

md usa spybot fan
2008-05-07, 10:50
cirrus012:

There are currently three (3) baidu entries in Spybot's HOSTS file entries:
baidu.com
bar.baidu.com
www.baidu.com
To remove the entries, go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Tools > Hosts file. The entries can be removed from the HOSTS file by highlighting the entries in the Hosts listing and then clicking the "Remove selected entries" button.

cirrus012
2008-05-07, 10:56
Thanks a million! That worked. :) I am still keeping bar.baidu.com blocked tho'.

antdude
2008-06-11, 15:48
FYI. baidu.com is no longer blocked according to http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=201048&postcount=20 ... :)