PDA

View Full Version : Can't view .wmv files?

TFeld
2008-04-21, 07:00
After I installed Spybot, I can't view .wmv files in my browser anymore.
I've tried both IE and FireFox

Greyfox
2008-04-21, 09:38
Spybot 1.5.2.20 with latest updates doesn't stop me viewing .wmv files in Internet Explorer 7 - XP Home SP2 operating system.

What operating system do you have, what browser versions, what version of SpybotSD and what is the date of the last updates? Does this occur on all web pages or just some?

Perhaps you could give an example of a specific web site where you have experienced the problem. The more information you provide, the more chance you have of getting a solution.

TFeld
2008-04-21, 19:09
System:
Microsoft Windows Xp
Media Center Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Browser:
Firefox 2.0.0.14

SpyBotSD:
Version 1.5.2

And I can't view .wmv files on any sites at all.
Not even with a direct link.

Greyfox
2008-04-22, 03:18
As I don't run Firefox, I can't duplicate your situation, however the following might help to narrow down the problem.

Go into SpyBotSD > Immunise and Undo all items. Then in advanced mode go to Tools > Resident and untick both the resident SD Helper and Teatimer. This will remove all of the active protection offered by SpybotSD so I'm only suggesting you do this for a quick test. See if you can now view your .wmv files - if you can't then I believe the problem may not relate to SpybotSD.

If you can now view the files re apply the immunisation and retest the .wmv view situation. If it's still OK, retick the other two items on at a time.

I believe Firefox 2.0.0.14 has only just been released - is there any significance as to when you installed this version and when your problem with .wmv files started.

Greyfox
2008-04-22, 03:53
TFeld

Perhaps something else to look at.
.wmv files would normally be handled in the browser by an add on, for example Adobe Flash Player. If that is the add on you are using, it would be worth checking that it is still enabled and perhaps also that it is the latest version.

When you say you can't view .wmv files in your browser any more, what exactly do you see. Is there any error messages displayed on the page, for example a message saying "You either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player".

Perhaps you could try www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTcRbx4lMgw
(a wmv clip of base jumping) and tell me what you see. Note that when the the page is first displayed the view screen area on the page may remain black for a few seconds whilst the clip is being downloaded.

TFeld
2008-04-22, 11:55
TFeld
When you say you can't view .wmv files in your browser any more, what exactly do you see. Is there any error messages displayed on the page, for example a message saying "You either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Adobe's Flash Player".

Perhaps you could try www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTcRbx4lMgw
(a wmv clip of base jumping) and tell me what you see. Note that when the the page is first displayed the view screen area on the page may remain black for a few seconds whilst the clip is being downloaded.

When i try to view .wmv files, i dont see anything at all. There is just an empty space where i should have been embedded. And when I try a direct link, it only loads an empty page.

And I can view the youtube video, because it is flash.

Terminator
2008-04-22, 14:47
Are you running any ad-blocker software? I ask because I had a similar problem a few years back with some webpages I wanted to few in Firefox and couldn't. It turned out that the ad-blocker plugin I was using was causing the problem so in the end I made a few tweeks to the software and everything was fine after that.

Greyfox
2008-04-22, 15:17

TFeld, can you post a link to a specific site or .wmv file you are not able to view.

Also what was the result of the other tests I suggested?

md usa spybot fan
2008-04-22, 16:11
TFeld:

What happens if you try to open a .wmv file stored on your system by double clicking on it from within Windows Explorer?

TFeld
2008-04-22, 20:47
TFeld, can you post a link to a specific site or .wmv file you are not able to view.

Also what was the result of the other tests I suggested?

I can't seem to find any .wmv files around...
And on dircet link it downloads...

I have also checked for the newest addon for firefox.

TFeld:

What happens if you try to open a .wmv file stored on your system by double clicking on it from within Windows Explorer?

It just opens in WMP, and plays fine.

Greyfox
2008-04-23, 10:34
I'm having a bit of a problem reconciling your statments

and

I can't seem to find any .wmv files around...
And on dircet link it downloads...

I personally have some doubt that your problem is being directly caused by SpybotSD however until such time as you are able to post a link to a specific site or .wmv file you are not able to view there's not a lot I can do to try to replicate your problem.

TFeld
2008-04-23, 11:49
For some unknown reason, I now seem to be able to watch .wmv files again...