PDA

View Full Version : Random Crashing, Blackout, but no infection

Tom.K
2008-04-21, 20:52
When I just do anything it sometimes makes a strange crash which can do next:
1. It makes a hang.
2. The Screen goes black
then
3.The screen restores back and it's lighter and it has (maybe) 16 bit colors (still shown shadow)
or
The computer restarts and removes Temporary Internet Files.

Another problem:
When the computer starts, sometimes the screen goes blank (the sound still works).

Any idea what can be?

I've checked all programs, but nothing suspicious.
There're some registry entries found by RootkitRevealer 1.7. Can those entries make those symptoms?

drragostea
2008-04-21, 21:07
Hrm. Give me a second... when you say the black screen shows... is it like when the computer screen when it goes into standby mode? Faulty graphics card? I'm sorry but I can't think of any suggestions. But, I recall this. My aunt's Windows XP Home was infected by Smitfraud (pop-ups with it). I attempted to update her graphics card from Microsoft Update. What came from the update was a 800*600 resolution at "8" colors. That was even lower that 16 colors. What happened was that I could not change the resolution even about reboot no matter what. Thus I had to do a System Restore. Honestly, I do not think it's a graphic problem. Although, I'm not too sure about a rootkit problem. I fixed Smitfraud with Superantispyware and cleaned it's registry tracks with Spybot-SD. Can you run a virus/malware scan? I would suggest Superantispyware first, because it detects uncommon "fingerprints". I await your results.

drragostea
2008-04-21, 21:08

I don't quite understand that. Do you mean the computer restarts for no reason? Can you still see your desktop... on the monitor?

Tom.K
2008-04-22, 20:55
I don't quite understand that. Do you mean the computer restarts for no reason? Can you still see your desktop... on the monitor?

How I can see my desktop when the computer restarts?

More info: The computer was set to do a restart (like using a reset button) when a "Blue Screen Of Death" shows.
My graphic card is ASUS EAH2600 (powered by ATI)
I have some incompatibility with DirectDraw games (later), so the manufacturer told me to try to update drivers using a setup.
There were no good changes, then the video has been worse. Then I've installed the old drivers. It was getting worse. I've even used System Restore to restore it. After then, all ok (for some things).

I will never use Windows update. It destroyed my modem and computer .(explain later)

About infections, everything is clean.
This problem was happening when I've got a computer (somewhere in 10.9.2007) (not a computer which is old for 7 years).

Should I show all info about my computer?

drragostea
2008-04-22, 21:05
How I can see my desktop when the computer restarts?
...I will never use Windows update. It destroyed my modem and computer .(explain later)

Well, at the moment I don't think I need your compute info. This is what confuses me... What I meant when I said, "Can you see...your monitor?", I did not mean when the computer restarts, I meant after a reboot. Or maybe the reboot after the Blue Screen. How did Windows Update "destroy" your modem? I just recently reformatted my Windows XP Home and installed the graphic and modem update. It worked fine. Are you saying that the modem does not work after the update? You know there is "Microsoft Update". You the "Microsoft Update" instead of the Windows.

Tom.K
2008-04-22, 21:18
Well, at the moment I don't think I need your compute info. This is what confuses me... What I meant when I said, "Can you see...your monitor?", I did not mean when the computer restarts, I meant after a reboot. Or maybe the reboot after the Blue Screen. How did Windows Update "destroy" your modem? I just recently reformatted my Windows XP Home and installed the graphic and modem update. It worked fine. Are you saying that the modem does not work after the update? You know there is "Microsoft Update". You the "Microsoft Update" instead of the Windows.
After reboot, I can.
I've used Windows ME, for 7 years (From 2000 to 2007). Because I've watched TV, the connection didn't work. I've decided to disconnect the modem and check the device manager. Then, I was surprised. The modem has been disabled and it had conflicts.
When I've restarted computer, It seemed to be everything OK (even modem). I've connected to Internet again and it did, but no reaction, so I've disconnected. I've took a Spybot scan and it finished successfully. But when I've used Ad-Aware, the computer completely hangs and then I've restarted computer. Now the worst thing: When the BIOS device auto-detection started, it stopped at IDE Master Drive (HD). Reseted again, HD was detected... and then a error! The IDE Master Drive has a error and because of that all things were lost! Now I'm searching the internet to get all things back.

drragostea
2008-04-22, 21:29
Hello... Erm. I can't help with this problem... (scratches head), because I am unfamiliar with the BIOS settings... I really do apologize. But one thing I can say is that I would suggest that you update your Spybot-SD to 1.5.2.20 and AdAware SE to v.7.0.26 (AdAware 2007).

drragostea
2008-04-22, 21:31
Basically, from how I see... your television and Internet modem sorta "share" a connection correct? Well, if so... does your internet work if the television is not on?

Edit: But, you are talking about Windows ME... not about your XP.
Edit2: But... I would also like to know how the Windows Update, "destroy" or in other words... "disable" your modem?

Tom.K
2008-04-23, 20:18
That's old computer (Windows ME was on old computer).
The TV does not have anything with modem, PC or Internet.

Edit2: But... I would also like to know how the Windows Update, "destroy" or in other words... "disable" your modem?
It seems that problem is hard to explain.

drragostea
2008-04-23, 20:23
But you're referring to your Windows ME! And then you're switching your point of view to Windows XP. Please specify which OS you are having trouble with. In addition, it would be great if you could elaborate on how Windows Update "destroyed" your computer/peripherals. The more detail, the greater chance we can get to coming to a solution.

Tom.K
2008-04-25, 20:36
But you're referring to your Windows ME! And then you're switching your point of view to Windows XP. Please specify which OS you are having trouble with.
I have problems with Windows XP.
Windows Me was on my OLD computer. I don't use it anymore.
Windows XP is on my NEW computer. I use this now.

drragostea
2008-04-26, 02:40
Hrm. So the blackouts... occur on Windows XP? Can you describe what "happens" after you apply updates from Windows Update. But I would find your OS impossible to run safely without the critical updates from Windows! If you do not use Windows Update, then how is your computer patched?:fear:

Tom.K
2008-04-27, 20:19
I don't use patches.
I know the risk of not installing patches.
I've protected computer with
Anti-Spyware:
Spybot-S&D 1.5.1.15 (I will soon install 1.5.2)
Ad-Aware SE Professional 1.06
Resident:
SDHelper is active and updated.
TeaTimer is not used.
I run Ad-Watch sometimes.
Anti-Virus:
AVG Anti-Virus 7.5.516
Other:
McAfee SiteAdvisor 2.1.1.35
Firewall:
Windows Firewall

I was warned once my SiteAdvisor when I've visited a site which contains exploits. I don't go to that site anymore. I was warned about Script Virus called as JS.Psyme.NR. I've moved the file to virus vault, closed the Internet Explorer, disconnected from Internet and took a Virus scan (It was clean).
About infection thorough CDs and Flash Drives, the viruses were blocked and moved to Virus Vault.

I avoid downloading codecs and all strange sites.

honda12
2008-04-27, 23:12
I don't use patches.
I know the risk of not installing patches.
I've protected computer with
Anti-Spyware:
Spybot-S&D 1.5.1.15 (I will soon install 1.5.2)
Ad-Aware SE Professional 1.06
Resident:
SDHelper is active and updated.
TeaTimer is not used.
I run Ad-Watch sometimes.
Anti-Virus:
AVG Anti-Virus 7.5.516
Other:
McAfee SiteAdvisor 2.1.1.35
Firewall:
Windows Firewall

I was warned once my SiteAdvisor when I've visited a site which contains exploits. I don't go to that site anymore. I was warned about Script Virus called as JS.Psyme.NR. I've moved the file to virus vault, closed the Internet Explorer, disconnected from Internet and took a Virus scan (It was clean).
About infection thorough CDs and Flash Drives, the viruses were blocked and moved to Virus Vault.

I avoid downloading codecs and all strange sites.

hmm, I know you know the risks about not patching windows but I just had to post this: UPDATED WINDOWS - Your first line of defense, links and tips (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=425) (thread by tashi :))

The quote that comes to mind is:

Afraid it is not a case of will I get infected despite all my security programs, but how soon.

drragostea
2008-04-27, 23:33
But in this situation I have to agree with honda12. A unpatched machine will just be calling for disaster. Your programs are outdated. The reason there are upgrades is because the upgrades have enhancements, tweaks, and performance stability. Your machine is not updated. Even with anti-spyware... malware may just slip past your defenses. From your list...
--------------------------------
-Windows XP should be updated ASAP.
-AVG 7.5 has been upgraded with enhancements to security and GUI. AVG Free 8.0 is available.
-Spybot-S&D 1.5.1.15 (I will soon install 1.5.2)
-McAfee SiteAdvisor is v.26.5 at latest.
-AdAware 2007 is at latest. AdAware 2008 is at beta.
**Windows default firewall is not enough. ZoneAlarm... Comodo... Sygate. etc.

-----------------
This is the best of my knowledge. What ever you do... (upgrade or not) is totally up to you. I've given you a lead. Its your decision to follow it or not.

Tom.K
2008-04-28, 20:34
OK.
I will try to do it.

drragostea
2008-04-28, 22:51
Well apparently, Tom, you cannot truly confirm that your machine is not infected. A unpatched machine would result infections... even if you surf safe web pages such as this forums.

Tom.K
2008-04-29, 21:28
Well apparently, Tom, you cannot truly confirm that your machine is not infected. A unpatched machine would result infections... even if you surf safe web pages such as this forums.
True. Maybe I was wrong.

drragostea
2008-04-30, 01:15
Hahas. I wouldn't agree... nor disagree. I would just like to know your results. Spybot-SD does not scan for everything... same goes for AdAware. Now I'm not saying anything that is against Spybot... I just have tested their abilities to find certain spyware/trojan/malware. I often use Superantispyware. Great way to remove the persistent malwares, like Smitfraud.