PDA

View Full Version : over-aggressiveness or a possible bug?

tamag
2008-04-23, 10:37
I couldn't visit baidu.com or www.baidu.com on my computer and it took me a long time to figure out spybot was the cultiprit. I finally went to internet explorer -> Tools -> spybot - search destroy configuration and set this site as always allowed. I don't even know why spybot blocked it in the first place because this site is legitimate (the so-called Chinese google). I think the default is block silently, which might not be so good. For my case, if it had originally asked for a block confirmation, I would not have let baidu.com be put on a block list.

Also, is there a place in spybot where I can manually add or delete a site to/from a whitelist and/or blacklist?

spybotsandra
2008-04-23, 13:23
Hello,

Baidu promotes it toolbar by installing it without user consent. It also hijacks the browser settings and sets its website as default start page.
The toolbar is also responsible for popup advertising.

If you need to log in to baidu websites you may manually remove them from the Internet Explorers restricted websites and hosts file or undo the immunization, uninstallation of Spybot is not a solution since the immunization will then still be in place. If you use the SDHelper you will also have to set it to allow access to baidu websites.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

antdude
2008-06-11, 14:52
FYI. baidu.com is no longer blocked according to http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=201048&postcount=20 ... :)