PDA

View Full Version : windows firewall disabled (and i cant re-able it)

fivee
2008-04-23, 23:04
Last time i've run spybot it came up with several items, but the ones that worried me the most was the windows firewall bypass warning, (the rest i think i've solved,at least aparently)

i didnt disabled the firewall, and so it wasnt suposed to be off. When i took a better look, not only its disabled, has its impossible to enable, the service is stoped (and i cant get it to start) and in "security center\firewall settings" im told its controlled by group management policy.

i've run "gpedit.msc" but in the "computer management\administrative templates" i dont have the network folder has my google search said i should have! all i have there is "windows desktop search" and "windows components"

i've also ran "mmc" and tryed from there, but no network folder either.

any sugestions there?

(note: on the subject of the other errors i've also ran kaspersky on-line scanner, and after deleting a few files, both my memory and computer scans came up clean)

drragostea
2008-04-24, 03:51
(note: on the subject of the other errors i've also ran kaspersky on-line scanner, and after deleting a few files...

What files did you exactly delete? Were they infected? I would suggest you use a third-party firewall such as ZoneAlarm or Comodo. The Windows default Firewall is built in the registry and can be disabled by malware/trojan/spyware/worm,etc. Also, it only supports inbound connections and does not support outbound protection.

fivee
2008-04-24, 15:31
the files i deleted where - plug32 (from windows\system32) and issas.exe from several places, now kaspersky tell's me im clean, and spyboot only shows the "antivirus ignore rule for security system)

(i've also deleted some files from temporary internet files and cookies)

i've also noted something, i have a wireless network in my house (cant get signal outside unless you're on my roof!and that includs my neighours house's)
and now i cant get to the shared partiton my this descktop from my laptop!
the connection's fine, it has a wep password and its has it's suposed to be, but now i get an error saying that this computer does not accept the laptop computer to start a session on that resource (internet sharing works fine though!)

i guess i'll have to use another firewall, but since i cant get to the root of the problem, im not sure i shouldnt just format this HD and start fresh! (though, that would be troublesome....)

oh, and thanks for the first reply!

edit: i forgot to mention that this computer is conected to a cable modem, and that the wireless is just for sharing data and the internet connection with the laptop

drragostea
2008-04-24, 17:38
Hello, fivee. I'm sure about the plug32 file and where you deleted it. I have never heard of it thought... Did Kaspersky list it as a infected file? Registry key? Also Google results listed issas as a backdoor trojan... Not good news :sad:. Erm... Also about the .exe... are you sure it was issas not... lsass? I'm just doubling checking... because lsass is a Internet Explorer process. Hrm. Erm. From the best of my knowledge... I wouldn't suggest reformatting at the moment because it will take forever (I reformatted mine and it took a day on a DSL connection :)). Back to topic. fivee, can you run a Spybot-SD scan? Download the latest version (v.1.5.2.20) and all the latest updates. Run a Superantispyware scan... it saves you a lot of trouble because it is renowned to remove Smitfraud and many other uncommons". I've been looking at your profile (Spybot forums)... you have had a encounter with a virus or trojan according to pskelly in your hijack log. Run the scans and tell me the results. If something does come up... do not remove it. Tell me the results. Oh, just download the free version of Superantispyware. :bigthumb:

fivee
2008-04-28, 15:36
thanks again

i did what you sugested, and nothing came up on superantispyware (sas)

rebooted several times, re-scanned with kaspersky, spybot, and sas, and nothing (other than the disabled things from security center).

i thing i got ride of whatever caused the problem, i just cant solve the problem it self. so im taking the troublemsome, but sure, way out. and ill format/reinstall windows!

anyway 6months for a windows xp thats on 24/7 (99% of the time) isnt a bad run!