PDA

View Full Version : ad.yieldmanager very annoying

2alpha
2008-04-24, 03:04
When accessing a few sites "ad.yieldmanager.com" appears to keeps me from using the "back" button to navigate to a prior screen. Have to use the history and select a prior screen. Very annoying!!

Is this a malware or just another ploy to increase hit count?

Thanks

drragostea
2008-04-24, 03:29
Hello, 2alpha. You are saying that a pop-up ad bothers you each time you visit some sites correct? From my perspective, this may not be a sign of malware... but just a minor annoyance. What Internet browser are you using? Does it have a default pop-up blocker enabled?

Edit: Btw, have you cleared the cache, temp. files, and cookies on the browser?

md usa spybot fan
2008-04-24, 06:03
2alpha:

If you are referring to messages that "ad.yieldmanager.com" is being blocked, the blocking messages are comming from Spybot's SDHelper. To block the bad the URLs without receiving the popup dialogs, go into Internet Explorer » Tools » select "Spybot – Search Destroy Configuration". Then in the "Spybot-S&D - Configuration" window in the "Settings" tab under "When encountering bad things" you can select among:
Block all pages silently
Display dialog when blocking
Ask for blocking confirmation
Select "Block all pages silently".

2alpha
2008-04-25, 01:06
It's not a pop up problem.
ebay is one of the problem sites. When when brousing auctions ad.yieldmanager "freezes" ( for lack of a better term ) the brouser to a certain page and will not respond to the back button. Can continue forward but back will only bring me back as far as the ad.yieldmanager controlled page.

History tab shows current page as http//ad.yieldmanager.com/...( misc page ID stuff ) and the back button just keeps displaying the same page over again.

The page appears to be a valid ebay page and may be just another way of increasing hit count. The same thing happens after viewing news articles on Reuters or some European news stories via worldnetdaily.com.

System is xp sp2 fully upgraded, IE7 latest upgrades, Norton 2008, Win Defender and Spybot 1.5* latest updates.

Clearing history, cookies, temp files no help.
IE Popup blocker enabled.

Not a pressing issue but very annoying because I don't like remote sites having that much control over my computer.

Tried adding *.ad.yieldmanager.com* to blocked sites and still no change.

thx in advance

drragostea
2008-04-25, 18:44
Are you saying that ad.yieldmanager redirects you to its page... when you visit Ebay?

jania
2008-04-29, 20:57
MD USA Spybot Fan seems to have solved a similar problem I was having. Thanks!

I posted that issue to another thread (http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=27488&highlight=ad.yieldmanager.com) on this forum and still wonder if my problem was due to malware or not.

kittybethaustin
2008-05-01, 19:29
I encountered a similar problem with ad.yield.manager.com after installing the latest S&D updates. I was trying to help a friend who's been having a huge spam problem. I set up S&D for after ad.yield.manager kept redirecting me to another webpage when I was going through the spam messages in her inbox. I couldn't get away from it redirecting the browser.

After S&D installation, the "bad url detection" popup came up over and over as I was going through the inbox. I didn't realize that just viewing email via yahoo would end up triggering the bad url detection popup so frequently. I set the control to "block silently" now but I'm glad I know this was being detected so often.

I think the bad urls were in the bodies of the spam emails, but looking at emails from known contacts seemed to sometimes trigger it as well. I haven't figured out that aspect yet.