PDA

View Full Version : v1.4 not responding when trying to fix problems

Pastonian
2005-11-08, 10:52
Hi,

Have installed v1.4 and done a scan, first time round it checked for like 29 problems, uninstalled, deleted spybot folder and ran reg cleaner for spybot and installed 1.4 from fresh again, this time scans 31,000 + and reports 7 problems, 3 of these being windows security centre which I have switched off myself it also finds 4 cookies, hotbar (1 x cookie), market engines (1 x cookie) and winfixer (2 x cookies)

Everytime i try to fix selected problems it does "7 problems found" under the progress bar, then "starting to fix problems" and then does nothing, i have unselected all options and tried to remove the cookies individually and have unselected the windows security centre stuff each time results in spybot hanging. Have now un-installed, rebooted and re-installed 4 times and still the same....... HELP!!!

p.s. cannot find any logfiles under the program files/spybot - search & destroy folder

spybotsandra
2005-11-08, 11:52
Hello,

What items do you mean exactly that can't be fixed?
What are they named?

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Pastonian
2005-11-08, 12:38
Saved the scan results and here's the detections, have attached a screen shot also, basically as soon as i click fix selected items it runs for a second or so and hangs -

Windows Security Center.FirewallDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify!=dword:0

Windows Security Center.AntiVirusDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify!=dword:0

Windows Security Center.UpdateDisableNotify: Settings (Registry change, nothing done)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\UpdatesDisableNotify!=dword:0

Market Engines: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Main) (Cookie, nothing done)

Hotbar: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Main) (Cookie, nothing done)

Winfixer: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Main) (Cookie, nothing done)

Winfixer: Tracking cookie (Internet Explorer: Main) (Cookie, nothing done)

spybotsandra
2005-11-08, 12:50
Hello,

Since the Detections Update from July 25, 2005, Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.4 has been detecting Security Risks (renamed to "Windows Security Center" on July 30) associated with Microsoft Security Center Registry changes. This is neither a false positive nor a bug. It is just an information.
Spybot-S&D only wants to bring to your attention that "someone" disabled one or more notifications in the Windows Security Center, e.g. the notifications that your virus protection is not active or not up-to-date. If you changed the settings yourself you can safely tell Spybot-S&D to exclude those detections from further scans.
In order to do so please right-click each in turn, then click "exclude this detection from future scans". That way, should any other part of security center settings change, Spybot-S&D will still detect those.
The same is true if you have another security solution installed (like McAfee Security Center or Norton Internet Security). These programs do also disable the Windows Security Center in order to take care of things themselves.
The reason why the changes are flagged by Spybot-S&D is that there are also malware programs that disable the notifications so the user doesn't take note of his security tools not being effective.

Some more information is also available in our forum:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=87

Hotbar belongs to the PUPS.
All products which belong to the "PUPS" are not selected to be fixed automatically after the scan is done. This means the user can decide by himself whether he wants them to be deleted or not.

You can exclude a product from the search as follows:
At first you do a scan with Spybot - Search & Destroy. Then you mark the item, you want to exclude from the search, with a left-click.
It is marked in blue now. Then you can right-click this entry and select "exclude this product from further searches".

It is also possible to exclude it before the search. Please run Spybot - Search & Destroy in "Advanced Mode" and go to "Settings" -> "Ignore products". There you can tick the checkbox in front of the product you want to exclude from the search.

About Winfixer - we hopefully have it in our next detection or the week after.

Best regards
Sandra
Team Spybot

Pastonian
2005-11-08, 13:15
Thanks for the reply, I was happy with the windows security centre coming up as I had disabled this myself some time ago, you say in your post that with the hotbar detection i can choose to delete it or not, this is the problem, I choose to fix it and it won't spybot simply hangs, have left it for 30 mins and it still does nothing, have to end task through task manager, surely it should come up with a failed or success and let you close down normally, have never seen this behaviour with 1.3, i'm not too worried about the current detections, am more worried with getting further detections and not being able to remove them

Q Section
2005-11-20, 03:26
Pastonian
You can try to run a Spybot scan from Safe mode and see if you get better results.