PDA

View Full Version : Spybot 1.5 not Work on Win98

Para51
2008-04-27, 08:22
April 26, 2008
I have been using SB v1.4 on my old PC with Win98. I saw on your compatibility page > Supported Operating systems > Windows 98: Fully Functional.
:red:Question: Which version does this refer to, 1.4 or 1.5?
If it's 1.5, then after I had a successful install (at least, it appeared that way), when I try to start SB v1.5, this error msg. comes up:

Spybot: Application Error
Exception Eaccess Violation in Module SPYBOT.EXE at 002E609B in Module 'SPYBOT.EXE'.
Read of Address FFFFFFFF

I'm sorry but I can't remember :sad: the whole exact version numbers of the 1.5 I tried to run. But it was what ever was the latest one on your download page. This was 3 days ago. I have reverted back to SB v1.4, which works real good on my PC.

OS: Windows 98 4.10.1998 [[I]plus all critical updates until MS dropped support for Win98] FAT32
AV: AVG Free Edition 7.5.519 (up to date sig.)
Firewall: Filseclab Personal Firewall Professional Edition - Free v3.0.08686
WinPatrol Plus v14.0.2007.1
Firefox Browser v2.0.0.14
CPU: AMD K6-2 3D Processor
400MHz
319 MB RAM
6.82GB Hard Drive [Used 1.46GB]
DirectX 9.0c

Thanx for any input.
Para51:)

Terminator
2008-04-27, 15:58
See here: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=27344

cubie
2008-04-28, 03:21
Your problem is not unique. Checkout Becky's post:

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=27260

I actually got this version to run on win98se. I could not update without continuously receiving error warnings and crashes. The datfile in the download is 2008/4/24. System resources are dangerously low on this application S&D 1.5.2. :sad:

Para51
2008-05-03, 11:17
I have followed 'Terminator's' post: See here: http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=27344, 3 times & have had no luck in getting Spybot 1.5 to work on my old PC (Win98).

I just keep getting the :mad: "illegal operation" msg., every time I go to open SB 1.5.

So I give up! :hair: Done! Finished! Ka-put! No more! Quit! Throw in the Towel! Pull the Plug! Resign!........

It's back to v1.4, it is!!! :banghead: At least it still works, until someone decides to pull the plug on keeping it updated with signatures & such. Then we'll see...

Thanks for the assistance given to me.

Kind Regards
Para51:banana:

drragostea
2008-05-04, 03:40
Hello, para51. Can you download the Spybot-SD again from the link? I do not see how you may not Spybot-SD because I ran v.1.5.2.20 (latest & updates) and it ran fine on a Windows ME computer w/ 64 MB of RAM. Also can you perform a "cleanup" by using CCleaner?

http://www.ccleaner.com/download

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Tell me the results.

Para51
2008-05-06, 10:59
drragostea, I just put on the upgrade to 'ME' from 98 but now a friend gave me the UBUNTU = FiestyFawn CD [Linux]. :scratch: I have been kind of looking at Linux for a while now, so I'm going to install it over Win ME.

I don't know if Spybot is made to work with Linux, but the Ubuntu program basics are going to keep me very busy for a while learning the ropes. :cowboy:

BTW, I forgot to put on the 1st post, that I do have CC and have cleaned 98 every 2nd day. Very good program!

But anyways, I have had it with win98 and if I don't like the Ubuntu, I will go back to Win ME! But from what I've seen with Ubuntu (as a Live CD, B4 install), I don't think I'll be back to Windows for sometime. :eek:

So thanks for the post.
Kind Regards
Para51 :banana:

tashi
2008-05-06, 16:57
Hello,

I don't know if Spybot is made to work with Linux, Linux/Unixfull Wine support in 1.5
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html

But anyways, I have had it with win98 and if I don't like the Ubuntu, I will go back to Win ME! But from what I've seen with Ubuntu (as a Live CD, B4 install), I don't think I'll be back to Windows for sometime. :eek:

Win98/ME are no longer supported operating systems and therefore cannot be patched and updated, making them very vulnerable to exploits.

Ubuntu may be a better choice for you if not planning to upgrade to Win XP or Windows Vista. :)

Best regards.

drragostea
2008-05-07, 00:51
Win98/ME are no longer supported operating systems and therefore cannot be patched and updated, making them very vulnerable to exploits. Ubuntu may be a better choice for you if not planning to upgrade to Win XP or Windows Vista.

Hello, para. Like tashi, said Ubuntu may be a good alternative (such as iMac and Linux) over the Windows OS if you would prefer. Many of my people I know use Windows based-OS because it is easy to install programs. Should you move to Windows XP, I would suggest you use that. I planned to purchase a Vista Home Premium, but after hearing about all the update troubles, I decided to abandon the idea. Windows XP are off the shelves after June 30, 2008.

Surf safe. ~Firewall and AV.

Becky
2008-05-07, 04:20
Hi, as I can see there are several threads open with mainly the same problem, as I started one of them, I feel responsible to let you know what did I do to solve my specific problem. Please see the following:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=27260
where I updated the info.

Good luck!!!
Becky

Para51
2008-05-07, 12:21
Win98/ME are no longer supported operating systems and therefore cannot be patched and updated, making them very vulnerable to exploits.

Ubuntu may be a better choice for you if not planning to upgrade to Win XP or Windows Vista. :)

For anyone who is interested, :santa: there is this website: AXCEL216/MDGx Free WinDOwS Software ESSENTIALS: http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm that has patches/fixes :present: for Win 95 and up.

Having been referred to this site by an MS Tech (via a blog), I have been able to find many MS patches & Fixs for Win 98/Me. [I scan every thing 1st with Dr.Web B4 D/L & then rescan all files again with AV & AS, before installing.]

I also do have another PC, [bigger & better] that I use for other things.
Win XPPro/MCE, 768MB RAM, 60G HD, etc., etc. I use this old PC for checking things out, like forums, blogs, testing programs on, etc., etc.

But being a good Father :crazy:, I let my Kids use the bigger PC for their music, games, homework, R banking, etc., etc.

One last Q(?) :scratch: Why is it when I go to preview this post I'm typing, that the forum makes me log in again, before viewing the post?? Am I on a time limit to type these posts up? Cause I'm not a fast typer & do like to think about what I put in here (I don't like the taste of my foot in my mouth!).

Regards

drragostea
2008-05-08, 01:07
One last Q(?) :scratch: Why is it when I go to preview this post I'm typing, that the forum makes me log in again, before viewing the post?? Am I on a time limit to type these posts up? Cause I'm not a fast typer & do like to think about what I put in here (I don't like the taste of my foot in my mouth!).

Erm. Do you have the cookies disabled on your browser? I use Mozilla Firefox 2 and with cookies enabled. Usually a timed-out session would be around 30-60 mins. of non-activity. Surf safe.

ME_2&
2008-05-09, 00:58
Yep, www.mdgx.com can certainly keep`em flying (at your own risk, of course - how else;)

> I use this old PC for checking things out, like forums, blogs, testing programs on, etc., etc.

It is what it is + whatever effort you do to make it so, I actually had no prob with 1.5.2.20 on Win98 or WinME (just lucky, I guess)

> Why is it when I go to preview this post I'm typing, that the forum makes me log in again, before viewing the post?? Am I on a time limit to type these posts up? Cause I'm not a fast typer

Me neither, there is a timelimit window to edit in (15-30 min?) - possibly you may have the 'referer' off if you have to re-logon after the initial but still within session. Currently on another Mozilla product with cookies off ?) and images on (so I can find my way in the 'dark'), since FF has been fighting me a bit lately in the new version with etc. and it'll be interesting to see if a 'no cookies/no remember me' approach works ... nope, gotta cookie+rememberme :lol: at least the reply field was intact upon 'return' :D

Good luck with that Ubuntu! Might I also suggest Puppy http://www.puppylinux.com/ for a quick/easy/clean distro? Runs entirely off RAM + CD/DVD (OS+storage-on-a-disc!) using nominal hardware support.

Para51
2008-05-11, 11:40
As soon as I posted my blurb & the question about "being logged off when viewing post B4 submitting it", I reread the faqs & Yes, I did not have SBSD listed in FF cookies as permanent! :red: It's amazing how you learn things when you reread instructions, slower! :bigthumb:

I haven't put Ubuntu on yet, as I mention a couple post back about the websites that have 'Unofficial' patches/fixes for win 95, 98, 98se, ME, 2000 & up. I tried a few little critical patches, which appear to have fixed some problems.

Then I installed the Win98 SP2 patch & WOW, has it fixed a lot of things. Like my need 4 speed went up 10 fold with this old computer. Things have appeared to be more stabilized, programs working better, icons clearer with better colors & on & on! (Knock on wood!) LOL

But if this is all temp., Oh Well... easy come, easy go. Then I will switch to Ubuntu or maybe Puppy, as it looks kind of neat.

Well, gotta go and Thanks to all for any help and suggestions. I really appreciate all of it. Maybe in a few more days, I will try to install Spybot v1.5++ and let you all know how it went. Till then...

Regards

PS: Just had a preview B4 posting & I had to logged in again! So back to the instructions, FAQ & whatever else I need 2 read!!!:eek: