PDA

View Full Version : registry and blacklist

mechazawa
2008-05-01, 14:12
Hi all,

I have asked win XP to checkdisk my C: drive on following startup.
Of course it modified a registry entry.
On the following startup xp did the job and all went fine.
The problem is the registry value has not been set back to its previous value, and now on each boot, xp wants to chkdsk my C: drive.

I did a search on the net for the concerned registry entry and found it was

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute
and I should change the value from

autocheck autochk /r \??\C:
autocheck autochk *
to

autocheck autochk *

Unfortunately each time I run regedit, find this key and try to change its value, Spybot forbids it (based on a mysterious user blacklist, hidden somewhere) and restore the unwanted temporary value.
No, there is no choice, it just gives me a notification.
My computer keeps on wanting to check my C: drive on startup...

Trying to remove it from the "Settings" menu (in the tray icon menu) "blocked registry modifications" doesn't help. It would act the same, and put it back in the "blocked registry modifications" list.
No way out.

Any help is welcome.
This is the first time I am disappointed by spybot S&D : this situation is really absurd.

Mechazawa.

md usa spybot fan
2008-05-01, 15:10
mechazawa:

What version of Spybot are you running (Spybot » Help » About)?

mechazawa
2008-05-01, 15:36
Hi md usa spybot fan,

I've just solved my problem. Here's what I've done :

I've updated spybot minutes before reading your post (actually it is not my computer and the owner told me he updated spybot regularly, but maybe he didn't, or many updates were released lately...)
I don't know if that helped. (Now spybot's version is 1.5.2.20, last detections update : 30th of April 2008)

Most importantly, I've found this thread which helped I guess :
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=5270
where YOU, md usa spybot fan, offered this solution :

* Right click Spybot's TeaTimer System Tray Icon > click Exit Spybot-S&D Resident.
o TeaTimer closes.
o TeaTimer's snapshot files are refreshed at this time.
* Restart TeaTimer:
o Using Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy.
o Double click TeaTimer.exe to start it.
It did work the expected way.
(apart from the fact there is no TeaTimer.exe here... Restarting the computer did the job though.)
On the following restart, the registry was changed, and spybot now asks me again if I want to allow this change or not. This is out of the blacklist now.

Thank you for your interest in my problem, and thank you again for the answer in the forementionned thread that sorted me out.

Have a good day.