PDA

View Full Version : Newbie, did something bad to computer

Super Duper!
2008-05-03, 03:17
My computer has been running slow and nothing was turning up on the normal Spybot scans, so I went to the tools- system startup section and stopped a bunch of things starting at startup. Most of these were the ctfmon.exe thing, and there were a few applications that I stopped running because I don't use them. My computer is coping much better now, but YouTube won't work. The little video screen thing always just says loading..., but never does anything. I've tried uninstalling Flash and re-installing it, and disabled my firewall, but nothing helps.

In a related problem, I have Microsoft Office 97 on this computer, so I figure I shouldn't have the ctfmon.exe thing. I tried to stop it from running, but every time I delete it from the process list, it just re-instates itself. It does this even though Spybot Resident asks me if I want to let it change and I say deny.

Help? Please?

drragostea
2008-05-04, 03:34
Hello, Super. What OS (operating system) are you running? In addition are you using the latest version of Spybot-SD? The latest version can be downloaded at:

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/mirrors/index.html

Oh, btw, just a quick question. What browser are you using (IE, Mozilla, Opera)?

Also, I would suggest you perform a cleanup with CCleaner. Leave the default boxes checked. And it is not mandatory to install the Yahoo! toolbar.

http://www.ccleaner.com/download

Perform a cleanup, defragment your drive, and download the latest version of Spybot-SD and the updates.

Super Duper!
2008-05-04, 08:31
Wow, thankyou! That solved my problem and made my computer run 10 times faster. You're my knight in shining armour!

drragostea
2008-05-04, 17:00
Hahas. Thank you. You're welcome. I would suggest you run a disk defragment every 1-2 weeks. Every week if on a heavy used computer such as many installing and uninstalling programs. CCleaner will clean Recycle Bin and browser "tracks". Many luck to you, Super.