PDA

View Full Version : SD Helper problems

bobnrobin
2008-05-07, 15:37
Morning...
Have always had the Resident set to Active for the SD Helper with no problems until just recently. Now, it will not stay checked. If I check it on at start of day, seems to stay until puter is shut down, but is gone next day when booting up.
Any ideas as to why ? What I may have done wrong ? (Todays' updates came thru and defs files updated and immunized, so things seem to be working.) Would appreciate any help and advice.

2008-05-07, 18:27
is sometimes loaded at startup, and then sometimes not? Is this correct?

If so: Please open spybot. Click mode-advanced mode. Say yes. Click tools-resident. uncheck teatimer (protection over all systems active). Then wait a few seconds. close spybot. Restart your system. Go back in spybot and Recheck it. Make sure both of the options (there are 2 checkboxes) are checked. wait 2 seconds. restart your system. Does teatimer load always now?

Another thing to try is right clicking the teatimer icon (when it is loaded) next to your clock, and click exit spybot sd resident. Then restart. See if it loads then.

Test it out, does teatimer (spybot resident protection) load at startup now all the time?

If you are still having problems; I would advise a uninstall and then download the latest update from spybot and install it. :) Get back to me and let me know if any of this solved your problem. :) Thanks!

bobnrobin
2008-05-08, 16:18
is sometimes loaded at startup, and then sometimes not? Is this correct?

If so: Please open spybot. Click mode-advanced mode. Say yes. Click tools-resident. uncheck teatimer (protection over all systems active). Then wait a few seconds. close spybot. Restart your system. Go back in spybot and Recheck it. Make sure both of the options (there are 2 checkboxes) are checked. wait 2 seconds. restart your system. Does teatimer load always now?

Another thing to try is right clicking the teatimer icon (when it is loaded) next to your clock, and click exit spybot sd resident. Then restart. See if it loads then.

Test it out, does teatimer (spybot resident protection) load at startup now all the time?

If you are still having problems; I would advise a uninstall and then download the latest update from spybot and install it. :) Get back to me and let me know if any of this solved your problem. :) Thanks!

Hi, 129260... Thanks for taking the time to reply.
It's not teatimer. It is the SD Helper - bad DL blocker for IE. Teatimer is fine, stays checked in tools-resident, shows up in the taskbar as always. (SB has always been run in advanced mode thru all the past versions, SD Helper checked and stayed checked from day to day.) Any other ideas?
Thanks again.

Greyfox
2008-05-08, 16:48
bobnrobin

What antivirus program are you using (Brand, version and last update date)?

bobnrobin
2008-05-08, 17:43
bobnrobin

What antivirus program are you using (Brand, version and last update date)?

Thanks, Greyfox.
Since Aug. 07 - Norton Antivirus 2007 - update 5-7-08. No settings changed. No new programs/hardware, etc. installed. Thinking I first noticed that the SD Helper was not staying checked about 2 weeks ago. NAV has always played nicely with SpyBot, AdAware, SpyWareBlaster in the past. SpyBot is 1.5.2.2, 5-07-08 updates plus the tiny 2kb one of today. MSN Explorer dialup. IE6 installed and works, but seldom use the IE screen. Do delete cookies and History daily. Curious, open SB go to "resident" it's unchecked, check it, close SB, reopen and it's unchecked again....
Any other info needed, please advise. Thanks again.

2008-05-08, 18:22
that will disable spybot's bad download blocker from running, because the other security program wants to monitor it. Such things as a antiviruis, or firewall, or another anti-spyware program can use its own "bad download blocker." I suggest that you check all your settings in your security programs. Another thing is, the bad download blocker from spybot only works in Internet explorer. If you use another browser as your default, it wont stay checked. Try checking that out as well. Spybot fully supports immunization (blocks bad cookies, some downloads, and known bad websites) on the following browsers however, so it can protect the other browsers as well: Firefox, Internet explorer, and Opera. :)

Greyfox
2008-05-09, 07:44
bobnrobin

Something similar but not quite the same occurred yesterday on a friends PC, but it stopped occurring before I found the answer, however I tend to agree with 129260's idea that it may be interaction from another protection program, maybe as the result of an update.

Just as a thought, could you try rebooting into safe mode (off line), start Spybot, tick the SD helper, and exit spybot. Start Spybot again and check whether it is still there, exit and then reboot into normal mode and check again. Please let me know what result you get.

bobnrobin
2008-05-10, 18:28
that will disable spybot's bad download blocker from running, because the other security program wants to monitor it. Such things as a antiviruis, or firewall, or another anti-spyware program can use its own "bad download blocker." I suggest that you check all your settings in your security programs. Another thing is, the bad download blocker from spybot only works in Internet explorer. If you use another browser as your default, it wont stay checked. Try checking that out as well. Spybot fully supports immunization (blocks bad cookies, some downloads, and known bad websites) on the following browsers however, so it can protect the other browsers as well: Firefox, Internet explorer, and Opera. :)

Thanks, 129260...
OK, checked out settings for Everything (that I could find) - Spybot, AdAware, SpywareBlaster, NAV, Win firewall, IE, etc.. All seem to be the same as they have been for the past several years. As I understand it, MSN Explorer is just a sort of "kids" version of IE, so should not affect whether or not the SD helper stays checked - It has NOT in the past years. i.e., only just recently has it come unchecked. Sorry, was unable to get here yesterday to answer. Thanks again...

bobnrobin
2008-05-10, 18:45
bobnrobin

Something similar but not quite the same occurred yesterday on a friends PC, but it stopped occurring before I found the answer, however I tend to agree with 129260's idea that it may be interaction from another protection program, maybe as the result of an update.

Just as a thought, could you try rebooting into safe mode (off line), start Spybot, tick the SD helper, and exit spybot. Start Spybot again and check whether it is still there, exit and then reboot into normal mode and check again. Please let me know what result you get.

Thanks, Greyfox.
AhHa... "maybe as the result of an update"..... Could be, as ALL - NAV, SPBSD, SpywareBlaster, AdAware, etc. - have had "updates" recently. Even tho' nothing appears to be changed in the settings for any of them, guess one or more could have 'sneaked" in something. The only time I use the IE screen is after I'm off line and go there to delete cookies and history. IP is msn.com - dialup thru' MSNExplorer - IOW, if I click the IE icon, I still have to dial up thru' MSNExplorer to go online - click the butterfly.
Dunno, maybe, if I leave it alone, it will fix itself, like your friend ? Ummm, Safe mode did not make changes....
Thanks again.

2008-05-10, 19:07
Thanks, 129260...
OK, checked out settings for Everything (that I could find) - Spybot, AdAware, SpywareBlaster, NAV, Win firewall, IE, etc.. All seem to be the same as they have been for the past several years. As I understand it, MSN Explorer is just a sort of "kids" version of IE, so should not affect whether or not the SD helper stays checked - It has NOT in the past years. i.e., only just recently has it come unchecked. Sorry, was unable to get here yesterday to answer. Thanks again...

hmm interesting......I'll wait and see if greyfox has an idea for this one ;)

Greyfox
2008-05-11, 00:39
bobnrobin

From two of your posts, it also appears to vary between

If I check it on at start of day, seems to stay until puter is shut down, but is gone next day when booting up.

and

Curious, open SB go to "resident" it's unchecked, check it, close SB, reopen and it's unchecked again

but I don't know how that helps. I haven't been able to recreate the problem on my PC's, and it hasn't happened again on my friends, so I'm probably as much in the dark as you are.

Normally if Teatimer is enabled, it will notify when the tick is put in, or taken out of the SD helper box. In some instances it will ask for permission when you change the SD helper tick. I don't think you mentioned whether you are actually seeing any messages from Teatimer about this.

This is perhaps a long shot, but could you try unticking Teatimer, then close Spybot, reboot, open Spybot, add tick to SD helper, then close Spybot. Without doing anything else, re-open Spybot and check for SD helper tick. If it is there then try again after a reboot and let us know exactly what happens if Teatimer is not in the picture.

2008-05-11, 03:56
Completely remove spybot and then restart. Download the latest spybot from the homepage of spybot. Then install again. With teatimer haha :)

bobnrobin
2008-05-11, 17:36
bobnrobin

From two of your posts, it also appears to vary between

and

but I don't know how that helps. I haven't been able to recreate the problem on my PC's, and it hasn't happened again on my friends, so I'm probably as much in the dark as you are.

Normally if Teatimer is enabled, it will notify when the tick is put in, or taken out of the SD helper box. In some instances it will ask for permission when you change the SD helper tick. I don't think you mentioned whether you are actually seeing any messages from Teatimer about this.

This is perhaps a long shot, but could you try unticking Teatimer, then close Spybot, reboot, open Spybot, add tick to SD helper, then close Spybot. Without doing anything else, re-open Spybot and check for SD helper tick. If it is there then try again after a reboot and let us know exactly what happens if Teatimer is not in the picture.

Hello Greyfox..
OK... No. 1 variance was a mis-assumption - Just thought it stayed. It didn't, It is gone as soon as SB is closed.
Tried the long shot - no change, still won't stay ticked without TT. And No, no msgs from TT when ticking SD - but never did in the past either.
Maybe will have to re-do it all and hope that'll clear up things.
Thanks again for all your help and advice. It's much appreciated.

bobnrobin
2008-05-11, 17:49
Completely remove spybot and then restart. Download the latest spybot from the homepage of spybot. Then install again. With teatimer haha :)

Thank you so much, 129260 !!
Just what I didn't want to have to do on dialup !! But, you're right, I'm thinking that's probably what I'll have to do... Have tried your suggestions and those of the Greyfox, with no change. Just very puzz'ling...
Do thank you both very much. Between you, there were some things I hadn't tried. Guess I'll just have to try a reload/install and see. Sad, everything else works fine - updates and immunize and everything else.

2008-05-11, 19:23
Thank you so much, 129260 !!
Just what I didn't want to have to do on dialup !! But, you're right, I'm thinking that's probably what I'll have to do... Have tried your suggestions and those of the Greyfox, with no change. Just very puzz'ling...
Do thank you both very much. Between you, there were some things I hadn't tried. Guess I'll just have to try a reload/install and see. Sad, everything else works fine - updates and immunize and everything else.

I used to have dial up, and i always had a travel drive (thumbdrive) with all programs i downloaded so i wouldn't have to download them again in case i needed to reinstall something. They are cheap devices, and they work well. Get one of them so in the future you do not have to re-download everything again. ;) by the way, your welcome. :) I hope what i suggested works for you :)

Greyfox
2008-05-12, 03:16
bobnrobin,

Sorry my suggestions didn't overcome your problem. I too hope that 129260's suggestion you uninstall Spybot and try a new install works. Perhaps it would also be worth using the Spybot uninstall cleanup tool and then a reboot before you reinstall the product just in case.

Click on "this very small fix" in http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html to download the cleanup tool

Can you please post a followup after the reinstall so we will know whether this got rid of the problem?

Good luck