PDA

View Full Version : Adding processes to Resident's block list?

Kuvetli
2008-05-07, 17:03
Is there any way to add your own processes to the black list? I for one absolutely hate the process PCMservice... it continually grows as my computer is on, at one point getting to over 150,000 k of my system before I noticed that it took half a minute for my computer to register a left mouse button click... would there be a way to blacklist it?

PepiMK
2008-05-07, 17:16
Take a look at this thread; you can create your own custom .sbi file to a. remove everything you want during a scan, or just b. let TeaTimer stop processes. If you want it to appear only in TeaTimer, you would need to add a ignore!=1 in the third parameter of the File command.

bitman
2008-05-08, 12:58
Though PepiMK is of course totally correct in stating that this is possible, it's not the appropriate way to deal with your particular [or even most] issues. I quite easily found the following information about the PCMservice you mentioned:

http://www.neuber.com/taskmanager/process/pcmservice.exe.html

Basically, you should uninstall the PowerCinema (Dell MediaDirect) software using Add/Remove Programs. This will remove the offending process completely and properly stop the entire problem.

Using a process blocking application such as TeaTimer is only appropriate if the process is actually rouge and there is no other proper way to disable it. Otherwise, you are simply creating a bigger problem for yourself down the road, since if TeaTimer isn't run your blocked process will start running again.

Bitman