PDA

View Full Version : did anyone try out xp service pack 3 yet?

2008-05-09, 21:23
I just ordered the disk, even though i have high speed, i upgrade alot of computers with security updates, so i ordered the disk. I heard from alot of people so far that it is a very good update. I guess what i am asking is, is that true for everyone here? j/w. I'm tempted to update. I'm thinking i might format and then apply the xp sp3. Idk, maybe i won't. Anyways let me know fellas. :)

drragostea
2008-05-09, 22:41
Hello. :cowboy: I downloaded SP3 from Microsoft Update, but it took a few tries, because the update would not download. From what I heard, SP3, gives some security fixes and some "tweaks". I saw it as a performance boost. My computer runs smoothly. If you should reformat, I would suggest backing all your documents and important information. Also, download a firewall and AV (.exe) so you can instantly use it once the reformat is complete. SP3 has not changed my XP experience, so I guess it's good to go. Surf safe, 129260. :2thumb:

2008-05-09, 22:46
thanks for the info. :)

drragostea
2008-05-09, 22:56
No problem. SP3 would be more like an update. So, it's like patching a vulnerability. To me it is, lols. Well the reformat is totally up to you. If you decide there might be like, say "bad" files and baddies lurking which you do not know, a reformat might be positive. Just the day one. Lols.

2008-05-10, 10:56
AND WOAH!! I noticed a huge performance gain on my pc!! Amazing! I know the service pack wasnt designed to give a performance boost, but Microsoft did say some users would see an improvement. My system boots 30 seconds faster now, and my programs and things are taking WAY less cpu usage. looks like they cleaned up issues with the svchost.exe process that before used to take up alot of memory usage. That service handles the task scheduler and other things. I am quite happy with this update!! :)

drragostea
2008-05-10, 17:17
Hahas. Woah is correct. I'm not a heavy installer/uninstaller person. So I didn't notice any changes. Sadly. But I thing I noticed was... a new icon/option in my accessories folder. It's called "Remote Desktop Connection". Some of the changes and additions can be found on Wikipedia's page. Search Windows XP.

2008-05-10, 18:58
Hahas. Woah is correct. I'm not a heavy installer/uninstaller person. So I didn't notice any changes. Sadly. But I thing I noticed was... a new icon/option in my accessories folder. It's called "Remote Desktop Connection". Some of the changes and additions can be found on Wikipedia's page. Search Windows XP.