PDA

View Full Version : Vista & Automatic Spybot S&d

puppetj
2008-05-10, 04:07
i have spybot to load up automatically on start of vista and to check for up dates and immunize after that setup in the option, but in vista it would work, b/c it tells me i need to be the admi, blah, blah, yes i know, and i know about right clicking and running as admin, but how do i get this going with auto system start up, thanks! and will this fix teamtimer which is set to start up also, to do, and stop sleep in the security center

puppetj
2008-06-01, 04:48
no one can help me???

drragostea
2008-06-01, 17:37
Well have you read this? :)
---
http://www.spybot.info/en/faq/42.html
---

Follow the directions.

puppetj
2008-06-01, 19:57
I said "yes i know, and i know about right clicking and running as admin"

in the post didnt you see that?

how can you do this on auto start up is what iam asking

Zenobia
2008-06-01, 22:44
I couldn't find any way to get Spybot to run as admin when it was set to run on startup in Vista.
Is teatimer showing as snoozing in Security Center?

puppetj
2008-06-02, 02:02
yes and i wake it up in the center but after reboot it sleeps again

Zenobia
2008-06-02, 02:19
Try turning on Teatimer from within Spybot.Rightclick Spybot,select Run As Administrator,then go to mode,then select Advanced mode,then click Tools,then Resident.Put a check beside Resident "Teatimer",if it's not already checked.That should get Teatimer to come on at startup,and prevent having to turn it on in the Windows security center every time.

puppetj
2008-06-02, 04:00
doesnt work, also so no fix for boot up spyboy in vista? will there be?

Zenobia
2008-06-02, 20:03
I don't know.I'll go ask if anyone knows about it.
Spybot is shown as snoozing in Security Center when teatimer isn't enabled.It still shows as snoozing in security center?Could you go back to Tools->Resident and see if Teatimer stayed checkmarked?

puppetj
2008-06-02, 22:22
yes it doesnt work i tried it

Zenobia
2008-06-03, 15:41
Did teatimer stay checkmarked?

puppetj
2008-06-03, 19:47
yes, but it still snoozed

Zenobia
2008-06-03, 19:58
The problem with setting Spybot as admin on startup,is that when you do Vista will automatically block the program from starting anyways.

Creating a scheduled task for Spybot to run at startup manually worked,though I could only get the program to start,no autoupdating or autoimmunizing or anything else seemed to happen.

There`s a program that can automatically start a scheduled task:
http://www.jimmah.com/vista/Applications/autostart_admin_program.aspx
But,I couldn`t select to run Spybot as admin with it,even when running startupunblocker as admin.That might be because the startup entry for Spybot is put into HKLM,and my account isn`t a true admin account,I don`t know.The real admin account is hidden on Vista by default,as I recall,so I didn`t bother with the real admin account.

I tried adding a HKCU startup entry for Spybot and running it as admin with startupblocker.Which shoulda,coulda,woulda worked,but it didn`t on reboot,I`m unsure why.

But,if you wanted to try the startupunblocker program,or try manually creating the scheduled task,you might get better results than me.

I`m not sure why Spybot would be still showing as snoozed when Teatimer is checkmarked in Resident.Is the Teatimer icon showing down by your clock?

drragostea
2008-06-04, 01:16
How about running "msconfig"? ... That just popped-up in my mind.

I remember this "startup" window:

Run:

C:\Documents and Settings\Family\Start Menu\Programs\startup

Next the Documents and Settings\...

My account is registered as Family (although I can change it anytime, lols). Just change that part. See where it gets you. Problem is that I forgot how to add the start-up entry.

Zenobia
2008-06-04, 02:52
In Vista,you can't usually access the Documents and Settings junction,you usually get an access is denied messaage.

drragostea
2008-06-04, 02:57
What?! But you're admin. I wonder why... -.-

Zenobia
2008-06-04, 03:18
There's a small bit about it here,under the Access Denied heading:
http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/jpoints.htm
It's best to leave the permissions as is on those,too(which I unfortunately discovered after changing them when I first got Vista.) :red:

drragostea
2008-06-04, 03:21
I understand. It's just that I never used a Vista before :laugh:.