PDA

View Full Version : Spy Bot Folder opens when starting up computer

stymied
2008-05-11, 11:26
Ever since I upgraded Spy Bot recently, a Spy Bot window opens up on my desktop whenever I start up my pc.

(It doesn't actually load the Spy Bot software - this window looks like it's opened the Spy Bot folder in My Computer.)

I'd rather it didn't open.

I'd be grateful if anyone can suggest what I can do to stop it opening up like this.

I'm new to Windows XP and the Start and Taskbar option in the Control Panel doesn't seem to give me an option to stop it opening the folder automatically. Nor can I find an option when I load SpyBot.

Also, have you any idea what I did when upgrading that allowed this to happen - just so I don't do it again.

Many thanks.

Zenobia
2008-05-12, 01:49
Is there any chance you may have renamed the Spybot - Search & Destroy folder when installing Spybot,or went into Program Files and renamed it?

stymied
2008-05-12, 07:26
Thank you Zenobia for responding to my query. I was so relieved to see I'd got a response.

However, I can't remember anything unusual about this upgrade, which was probably a little over a week ago.

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have done anything like renaming it and definitely didn't open it in Program Files, which I tend to avoid meddling with.

When I load software, I allow the software to offer me a location, though before I accept, I look to see if it seems reasonable i.e. in Program Files and, if it's new software, in a folder with a name I would be likely to recognise, if I needed to locate it. I imagine this is what happened when I upgraded.

Certainly on this, my first laptop, I have been, if anything, extra cautious, particularly as I bought it when I retired and no longer have the techie guys at school to advise me when there's a blip.

What I have remembered, in thinking about your question, is that I had some confusion at the step where Tea Timer is mentioned, as I couldn't remember that from before. From which you will guess that I'm not an expert on how SpyBot works. I had SpyBot on my ancient PC, and it's always looked after things very well, without my needing to explore. Unwisely, I hadn't upgraded for a while, so there would have been more than the usual overwriting I would think.

So I'm thinking it's possible that at the point in the installation where you have choice to do something with Tea Timer, I didn't.

I also thought perhaps I ticked the wrong box at the point where you get asked whether you want shortcuts to Spy Bot e.g. on the task bar of the desktop.

I'm wondering whether I should uninstall SpyBot and start over again? I see there is an option on the Program menu.

Many thanks Zenobia, especially for your patience in reading through this rather long-winded response!

Zenobia
2008-05-12, 07:49
Nope,not long-winded at all,the more details given,the better. :)
In the past,sometimes when the Spybot Search & Destroy folder is renamed, the spybot Program Files Folder opens up when you start up the computer.
Please see here for some details on that.
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=14811
From what you described,it looks like that didn't happen in your case.Still,it might not hurt to uninstall/reinstall Spybot 1.5.2,to see if it fixes the problem.Probably a good idea to use the very small fix when uninstalling,so I posted the instructions with it below.

http://www.spybot.info/en/howto/uninstall.html

Spybot-S&D will uninstall from the Windows Add/Remove Software control panel without problems.

If you want to completely get rid of Spybot-S&D and the Add/Remove does not help, you can delete the installation folder (usually C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\), then download this very small fix (http://www.safer-networking.org/files/remove-spybotsd-settings.reg) and execute it (important! - this will remove all remains from the registry).

If you just want to upgrade to a newer version, please follow the same instructions like above and then install the new version.

After following these instructions please restart your system so that the changes can take place.

stymied
2008-05-13, 22:18
Thank you Zenobia. I have followed your instructions (which were clear and unambiguous, thank you!) and restarted after reinstalling, and I don't yet see the folder opening so I think you have effected a cure.

Thanks for your help, and for being so articulate and encouraging. I hope you have a great day, week, month, year.

One thing, which may be useful to you, is that I noticed when I uninstalled. I had a folder called Spybot, and one called Spybot - Search and Destroy. (So that made me think of what you had said about renaming which focused my mind a bit more on the installation that followed.) I don't know whether I chose the right option, but I chose Save rather than Run as the option when installing. It then asked me where to save it, and I was forced to create a folder called Spybot.

Once it had downloaded and was ready to install, I got the option of it being saved in a folder called Spybot -Search and Destroy. I decided to take that option, but to delete the Spybot folder once it had installed. So I did this, and on restarting, there was no Spybot window opening on my Desktop.

Perhaps for relative novices, like me, it would be helpful to suggest in the download process that they choose to run the software, rather than saving it? That way they wouldn't think eek, where should this go and create an unnecessary folder?

If you spot I have done something foolish, I hope you will tell me to start over. I didn't delete the tool that you suggested I execute after uninstalling so I could do the whole thing over!

Once again, thanks for your kindness, expert advice and encouragement.

Kind regards!

Zenobia
2008-05-13, 23:32
You're welcome,I'm glad it worked. :)

I don't know whether I chose the right option, but I chose Save rather than Run as the option when installing. It then asked me where to save it, and I was forced to create a folder called Spybot.

No,it is okay to choose Save when downloading the Spybot 1.5.2 setup file.It is just the setup file being saved,not the actual Spybot 1.5.2 program and creating a folder named Spybot for the setup file should not cause the problem you had.You could also have saved the setup file to your desktop or anywhere else convenient,you don't have to create a folder for it,unless you prefer doing that.

The problem seems to happen sometimes when the Spybot - Search & Destroy folder in C:\Program Files is renamed,then sometimes the C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy folder will open when you start your computer.I think it happens if a registry entry points to an incorrect or nonexisting folder.

If you spot I have done something foolish, I hope you will tell me to start over. I didn't delete the tool that you suggested I execute after uninstalling so I could do the whole thing over!
No,no need to start over,you followed the instructions well,and did a great job of uninstalling/reinstalling Spybot. :)