PDA

View Full Version : Host File and Ipconfig /flushdns command

jblittlejohn
2008-05-13, 17:06
When I run the registry back up tool, the tool creates a host backup file in my Windows\Drivers\etc file. The tool is not creating a recovery file to recover from. When I uninstall the Spybot Search and Destroy program from Add/Remove, the Host file is not reset to default. When you run “Ipconfig /flushdns” command at the prompt, the message is stating that it ran successfully. But when you run the “Ipconfig /displaydns” command the entries are still present and is not being flushed like it is supposed to. To correct the host file is a complicated process. Reformatting corrects the problem. Any workarounds?

Greyfox
2008-05-14, 04:03
When I run the registry back up tool, the tool creates a host backup file in my Windows\Drivers\etc file. The tool is not creating a recovery file to recover from. When I uninstall the Spybot Search and Destroy program from Add/Remove, the Host file is not reset to default. When you run “Ipconfig /flushdns” command at the prompt, the message is stating that it ran successfully. But when you run the “Ipconfig /displaydns” command the entries are still present and is not being flushed like it is supposed to. To correct the host file is a complicated process. Reformatting corrects the problem. Any workarounds?

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are getting at, but Spybot generates a host file backup each time you immunise, providing the Global (Hosts) is ticked. When you un-immunise then the Hosts file is returned to normal, apart from these two lines at the end

# Start of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy
# End of entries inserted by Spybot - Search & Destroy

So, before uninstalling it is a good idea to un-immunise (this also removes the other immunisation entries placed in the registry by Spybot

Hope this helps

PS
Note that in the tools section of Spybot, under IE Tweeks, that Spybot also locks the Hosts file as protection against it being hijacked or altered by others.

jblittlejohn
2008-05-15, 00:53
Greyfox

Thank you for the reply and my apologies for the confusion. I’m afraid I was in a hurry when I posted the comment for I was dealing with a medical emergency with my wife at the time. I fully understand the response as it applies to my issue. Keep up the good work for the reply was an intelligent response. I would have eventually figured it out for I am a power user and I should have known better. In Closing………….

Best regards,

Jblittlejohn
Knoxville, TN
5/14/2008 6:51:43 PM

jblittlejohn
2008-05-15, 01:01
[Fantastic QUOTE=jblittlejohn;191909]Greyfox

Thank you for the reply and my apologies for the confusion. I’m afraid I was in a hurry when I posted the comment for I was dealing with a medical emergency with my wife at the time. I fully understand the response as it applies to my issue. Keep up the good work for the reply was an intelligent response. I would have eventually figured it out for I am a power user and I should have known better. In Closing………….

Best regards,

Jblittlejohn
Knoxville, TN
5/14/2008 6:51:43 PM[/QUOTE]