PDA

View Full Version : Firewall & Antivirus override????

gudda96
2006-03-05, 10:40
Hi There

On my recent scans, the only result I get, in red is
Windows security centre, FIrewall Override
ditto ditto Antivirus override

I am sure its to do with the fact that I have installed Avast antivirus and Zone alarm so my windows security settings are not monitored maybe??

Also, when I open SB, I get an error message, which I remove than carry on ok??

Will post 2 attachments in next post

gudda96
2006-03-05, 10:43
Sorry, I forgot to attach in last post

md usa spybot fan
2006-03-05, 14:17
re: Framedyn.dll error.

The problem is usually caused by a bad path. Please read the following Microsoft Knowledge base article:
"Application Has Failed to Start Because Framedyn.dll Was Not Found" Error Message When You Open the System Properties Dialog Box
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;319114
Also see:
framedyn.dll not found, loads anyway
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=2458

re: Windows Security Center detections.

For these detections:
Windows Security Center.AntiVirusOverride: Settings
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusOverride!=dword:0
Windows Security Center.FirewallOverride: Settings
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallOverride!=dword:0
I suggest that you go into Start > Control Panel > Security Center > look at the right hand side of the window and check the settings under "Firewall" and "Virus Protection" (expanding if necessary). I believe that you have overridden the protections and that you will find a button labeled "Recommendations". If you click on the "Recommendations" button I believe that you will get a window that indicates something like:
I have a firewall that I'll monitor myself.
and
I have an antivirus program that I'll monitor myself.
Note: With these setting Windows won't monitor your firewall and virus protection status and won't send you alerts if they are off or out of date.

I use ZoneAlarm as my firewall and McAfee as my anti-virus. However, I allow Windows Security Center to monitor both my firewall and anti-virus. Firstly, I do not get the detections in Spybot and more importantly Windows Security Center notifies me immediately if my firewall or anti-virus are disabled.

Although I am not sure if Windows Security Center will monitor Avast antivirus, I suggest that you reconsider not using Windows Security Center to provide this protection. Go into Start > Control Panel > Security Center > look at the right hand side of the window and check the settings under "Firewall" and "Virus Protection" and modify these setting to let Windows Security Center monitor your firewall and anti-virus and see how it works out (I know it will work with your ZoneAlarm).[/QUOTE]

gudda96
2006-03-06, 09:58
MD

First let me thank you for solving spybot (Framedyn.dll Was Not Found) problem, the link led to a very clear help section and after first check, it is solved.

The second problem about Override, I dont understand 100%.

Are you saying "to run" the Windows firewall? as I have been told you should not run both?

I have attached p/s of security centre and I have altered firewall setting so I await your further comments.

md usa spybot fan
2006-03-06, 13:13
I am not suggesting that you run Windows firewall. What I am saying is to try and let Windows Security Center monitor your firewall and antivirus and see if it works.

Actually from your security.jpg attachment it looks as if your firewall may already monitored although the window is partially hidden. If that is the case I don't understand the "Windows Security Center.FirewallOverride" detection within Spybot.