PDA

View Full Version : Duplicity

UW_BigGuy
2008-05-21, 23:46
Is running MS Windows Defender just duplicating what Spybot is already doing?

md usa spybot fan
2008-05-22, 00:13
UW_BigGuy:

Can you be a little more specific as to what you mean?

drragostea
2008-05-22, 00:16
That that into consideration of what you're saying. Microsoft's Windows Defender is NOT the same as Spybot-SD. TeaTimer and WD's real-time protection may/can be considered in the same category, but their functions are not the same.

Some factors:
-Spybot-SD immunizes" by adding restricted sites to both IE and Mozilla. I think it also supports Opera. Spybot's SDHelper and TeaTimer are not the same, as WD alerts the user as the malware attempts to be installed or infiltrates the users OS. TeaTimer alerts the user, as like a registry occurred. Some examples would be a changed home page, added start-up value, BHO or toolbar, etc.

TeaTimer:
http://www.safer-networking.org/en/faq/33.html

Also read about the protection Spybot-SD offers:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281

Also, having more than malware scanner is recommended as one spyware scanner does not detect "everything". Two scanners detect something that the other one missed.

UW_BigGuy
2008-05-22, 00:49
Thanks. I think that drragostea gave me the answer that I was looking for. When I started running V 1.5.2.0 my system really started to bog down and I thought that perhaps the reason was that I was using software not meant to run together. They say, never run more than one antivirus program and I just wanted to make sure that it wasn't also true for malware scanners.

drragostea
2008-05-22, 02:05
Hello. Oh, I forgot... Welcome to the fourms. It is not recommended to run more than one firewall or AV at a time. However, on-demand scanners like Spybot-SD, SAS, WD can run together. However, the real-time protection "types" of Resident Shields like Windows Defender, I would NOT recommend running more than one together. TeaTimer and WD's real-time can co-exist.