PDA

View Full Version : IMMUNIZE - 6 ADDTN'L Protections Avail. (can never get)

TreeHead
2006-03-06, 05:05
OS = Windows ME
Each and every time, without fail, that I immunize (after an update), I get a message advising me how many "bad products" are blocked and that there are "6 additional protections available". This has been going on for months, seemingly forever, and no matter how many times I immunize or re-immunize, the result is always the same "6 additional protections available".
Wish I could know what the 6 protections are and Why the 6 protections can't become part of my S&D's immunity????
OTHER STRANGE BEHAVIOUR:
1 - Internet Options - Privacy - Blocking Web Sites:
I cannot type the www prefix for any web site which I add to the list. The www gets dropped every time I click the Block button (which button adds the web site to the list). For example, if I want to block www.---.com, I type www.---.com into the box, then click Block - When I look on the list for this newly added website, all I read is lop.com. When I (or others who use my PC at home) browse with IE to www.---.com, it takes us there with NO PROBLEM.
I'm wondering what is causing the dropped www and also wondering if S&D Immunity adds web sites via Internet Options - Privacy - "block" list with the same results????
2 - ADD REMOVE PROGRAMS - WINDOWS SETUP:
I cannot, under any circumstances, remove the checkmarks from COMMUNICATIONS / Phone Dialer and Dial Up Networks. I remove the checkmarks (to disable these un-needed programs) and it's right there the next time I check it out. Ditto for SYSTEM TOOLS / Window-Pop-Up.

It appears that there is something controling my PC which should NOT be there. Any help appreciated. TIA

md usa spybot fan
2006-03-06, 05:15
Immunization problem:

It just a bug in the counting of the items being immunized using Spybot 1.4 and does not affect the protection offered by the immunization facility. It has been noted before. For example, see the following thread:
cant immunize 12 items
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=959

Zenobia
2006-03-06, 06:03
The www is dropped when I type in a site in Per Site Privacy Actions,too,that's normal.
In IE 6,when you go to Internet Options-> Privacy->Sites...,and then type in the Address of Website and click Block or Allow,that just controls whether a website is always or never allowed to set a cookie on your computer.It won't block the site for you.

p.s. you might want to edit out the lop links in your post,since they're clickable.

TreeHead
2006-03-07, 05:13
Thanks for explaining. It makes a difference to know that it's not some type of malware preventing S&D from doing its' job. I look forward to the upgrade for resolution of this error.

TreeHead
2006-03-07, 06:43
FOLLOW - UP:

As part of my original post, I made reference to a problem I was having with Internet Options - Privacy - Blocked Websites. I note that a portion of the Immunity Protection afforded by S&D's IMMUNIIZE feature is the blocking of undesireable websites by listing same as "blocked" via Internet Options -Privacy - Block.
When I hit "UNDO", the list is cleared and when I hit "IMMUNIZE", the list is populated with undesireable websites - EXCEPT - that in fact, the websites are never really blocked. I can go to any of the blocked websites because something is removing the WWW prefix as the list is populated. THERE IS DEFINITELY SOMETHING AMISS HERE WHICH IS DEFEATING THE IMMUNITY PROTECTION AFFORDED BY S&D's immunity.
Wish I knew how to identify and remove whatever is causing this. I suspect other features of S&D are similarly defeated; but, because of my limited knowledge & ability, I'm unable to detect.

Zenobia
2006-03-07, 07:28
Here,this is a good post by md usa spybot fan to read:
http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=281

The first level of protection is immunization (a passive protection). When you “Immunize”, entries are added to the system Registry. This blocks cookies from some sites, places other sites in the restricted zone and blocks the download/execution of selected ActiveX scripts.

It helps explain immunization.
In Internet Explorer 6,the privacy tab deals with cookies.

Privacy in Internet Explorer 6
Internet Explorer 6 added a Privacy tab to give users more control over cookies. There are different levels of privacy on the Internet zone, and they are stored in the registry at the same location as the security zones.

You can also add a site to allow or to block cookies based on the site, regardless of the privacy policy on the Web site. Those registry keys are stored in the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\P3P\History
Listed under this key are domains that have been added as a managed site. These domains can carry either of the following DWORD values:
0x00000005 - Always Block
0x00000001 - Always Allow
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=182569

Also,if you scroll down the list under managed websites,you should see some sites with www,right close to the very bottom.These are set by Spybot.

TreeHead
2006-03-08, 04:31
Of the 100 (I counted) websites added, as Managed Sites / Privacy, by S&D Immunize, the WWW prefix is missing from 95 of them. Although I should not be able to, I can visit any of those 95 websites. Actually, I just now also visited one of the 5 websites (www.grandonline.com) with the WWW prefix intact. I can probably access the remaining 4 websites (with WWW prefix intact); but it's late, I put in a 13 hour workday and I'm just too tired.
Mabye someone knows what is defeating this protection?

bitman
2006-03-08, 05:56
Yes, your overworked brain needs a rest.

If you'll read the above when you're awake, you'll discover that Privacy sites only affect cookies, nothing else, so of course you can access the sites!

Only something added to the Windows Hosts file with a loopback address would be 'Blocked' so you couldn't access it at all. Even Restricted Sites still allows access, albeit limited to simple HTML pages.

TreeHead
2006-03-11, 21:34
I now understand that the objects, within Internet Options / Privacy, which are being blocked, are "cookies," not websites. Further, I also understand that it is normal, when adding URL's to the privacy list in Internet Options, for the WWW to be dropped.
I have tried to research the following (below), as well as possible; however, unfortunately, without obtaining a satisfactory explanation.
--For certain programs, I am unable to manage Internet Options,as follows:
COMMUNICATIONS / Phone Dialer and Dial Up Networks. I remove the checkmarks (which means I don't want the program) and, PrestO-ChangeO, the checkmarks re-appear the next time I look. Ditto for SYSTEM TOOLS / Window-Pop-Up.
I have the ability to make choices for all but the few, above mentioned programs and note that these particular programs are especially vunerable to viruses, trojans, spyware, etc. It cannot be normal behaviour that I should not be able to manage Internet Options for ONLY these particular programs???
Thanks in advance for any light which can be shed on this situation.