PDA

View Full Version : download

Hilde
2008-05-21, 17:37
Hi
I am new here. Came here to get help to remove persistant cookies, for CCleaner is not removing them. I was going to download a program. Clicked download and was given several options.

Which program do I download?
Hilde

md usa spybot fan
2008-05-21, 17:53
Hilde:

You posted in a 2 1/2 year old thread. I suggest that when you look up things for reference that you take into consideration the age of the information that you are looking at.

The installation file for Spybot 1.5.2.20 is spybotsd152.exe. You can download it here:
Mirror selection - The home of Spybot-S&D! (http://www.spybot.info/en/mirrors/index.html)

Hilde
2008-05-22, 01:40
You are I came to this site today, to get rid of persistant cookies. I don't what the person before this post is referring to. The persistant cookies are from forems that I signed up with. I can't remember which ones. Spybot says my computer is free of cookies. McKafee says I have 5 cookies.

One person said to have Spybot scan the computer in 'safemode'. How do you do this? I don't know how to get into safemode either. I tapped F8 as I turned on the computer but couldn't get it to work. My hidden files are set to be unhidden.

drragostea
2008-05-22, 02:41
You usually run safe mode when its like you have a malware problem. Tapping F8 really fast during start-up/bootup should do the job. How can McAfee detected 5 cookies when CCleaner detects none?! It's likely it is a false positive. I use CCleaner, and when it cleans. It cleans.

md usa spybot fan
2008-05-22, 07:14
Hilde:

You can always use the facilities within your browser to delete persistant cookies.

Deleting persistant cookies with Spybot:

The normal (default) Spybot scan only checks for tracking cookies. To delete other persistant cookies you must check for "Usage Tracks".

Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced Mode > Settings > File Sets. The last two items are "Usage Tracks" and should only be checked if you want to check for them (I personally don't). The first of these two items (Usage Tracking) lists IE Cache (temporary internet files), Common Dialogs, Cookies (see Note #1 below) and some Logs. The second item (Tracks.uti) will list various MRUs (Most Recently Used) records.

Note #1: To ignore selected cookies from being purged:
Go into Spybot > Mode > Advanced mode > Settings > Ignore cookies > check any cookies that you want to keep.

To delete IE Cache (temporary internet files) and cookies I personally use the following:
IE Privacy Keeper
http://browsertools.net/IE-Privacy-Keeper/
Direct link to download:
IEPrivacyKeeperSetup.exe (http://browsertools.net/downloads/IEPrivacyKeeperSetup.exe)

Hilde
2008-05-24, 00:41
You usually run safe mode when its like you have a malware problem. Tapping F8 really fast during start-up/bootup should do the job. How can McAfee detected 5 cookies when CCleaner detects none?! It's likely it is a false positive. I use CCleaner, and when it cleans. It cleans.

I don't think these are false cookies. For before adding skyboot I only had 4 cookies.

Hilde
2008-05-24, 03:16
CCleaner cleans up cookies better that IE privacy. Still have cookies. Beginning think I was a fool to donate to spyboot.

notech
2008-05-24, 16:02
Please don't be so dismissive of a great FREE program like Spybot S&D..
I'm sure your donation is greatly welcome,, but please investigate a little
more before you come out with statements like that..

Peace.. :rolleyes:

Hilde
2008-05-25, 04:15
I appolizize. Spybot is a good program.

I was just frustrated for it and people here weren't helping me get rid of the problem which brought me to this forum. I thought I had persistent cookies. Found out from another company that I had HTTP cookies, which are User-specific data from internet transactions with a web server via a browser. The cookies are profiling cookies and not harmful.

Spybot scanned for harmful items. Three were found and removed. Shortly afterwards Comcast notified me that spam was being sent from my computer via email.