PDA

View Full Version : Should firewall default be Norton or Windows

kenpitcher4
2008-05-22, 21:07
I have Norton 360 and it asks to be the firewall default, same with phishing filter. I've been clicking yes for Norton to be the default. Is that correct?

md usa spybot fan
2008-05-22, 21:24
kenpitcher4:

What Windows OS (Operating System) are you running?

kenpitcher4
2008-05-22, 21:29
Windows xp home edition,amd dual 64 by hp

md usa spybot fan
2008-05-22, 21:35
kenpitcher4:

Please note that although the Windows XP firewall is better than having no firewall, it only filters incoming traffic and therefore is not as secure as other firewalls that filter both incoming and outgoing traffic. Apparently Microsoft recognizes this weakness since the firewall in Vista will support filtering for both incoming and outgoing traffic.

Leak-tests results - matousec.com
http://www.matousec.com/projects/windows-personal-firewall-analysis/leak-tests-results.php#firewalls-ratings

kenpitcher4
2008-05-22, 21:49
Thankyou. What about phishing filter? Same thought? Why do you write at the bottom what type system your running? So basically if you are paying for additional protection then they should have the default on the protection.

drragostea
2008-05-23, 04:29
The text at the bottom is the "signature". It's more like what you want other members to see when you post. As for the phishing filter, Windows XP does not include that. 3rd party software might have that.

md usa spybot fan
2008-05-23, 07:46
kenpitcher4:

Internet Explorer 7 has a Phishing Filter.

What is Phishing Filter and how can it help protect me?

Phishing Filter is a feature in Internet Explorer that helps detect phishing websites. Phishing Filter uses three methods to help protect you from phishing scams. First, it compares the addresses of websites you visit against a list of sites reported to Microsoft as legitimate. This list is stored on your computer. Second, it helps analyze the sites you visit to see if they have the characteristics common to a phishing website. Third, with your consent, Phishing Filter sends some website addresses to Microsoft to be further checked against a frequently updated list of reported phishing websites.

If the site you are visiting is on the list of reported phishing websites, Internet Explorer will display a warning webpage and a notification on the Address bar. From the warning webpage, you can continue or close the page. If the website contains characteristics common to a phishing site but isn't on the list, Internet Explorer will only notify you in the Address bar that it might possibly be a phishing website.
To learn more about it look in the Internet Explorer 7 help facility.

drragostea
2008-05-24, 03:31
Yup. IE7 includes a integrated phishing filter as indicated by md. What I actually meant was like the system itself. Alternative web browsers like Mozilla Firefox also includes the filter too.